IBN 56/2020 - Suspension of OASC

Yeah this…

I dont see the issue… Its 2 days that would have needed to be done if face to face… And actually could probably be delivered in a day.

Could be, except you’ll undoubtedly get those that need work to pass ACTO27 and drill so the question when planning is do you bulk it out with something extra to make a weekend of it and get extra training/practice time, or just defer the biffs?

But that’s something else. We’re already a bit off piste with this on the OASC thread, but I don’t think it’s going far enough to have its own…

True that… Im personally doing a few evenings aroubd the wings to assess drill then any remedial training ill do locally and sign off…

I didn’t mind doing the days, in fact I’d love the chance to get some training that wasn’t just over a computer screen and actually meet people. It was the way they just said “this weekend - come or you’ll be out”

I’ll tell my SNCO. To be fair I’ve not seen the IBN. Must not have looked at SharePoint home page during the time it was visible in announcements. They really are a awful way to disseminate info

Again poor execution…

I know i made a concerted effort to make it as flexible as poss… A variety of dates, locations and all with weeks of notice.

1 Like

That’s because you rock

1 Like

I was told it’s as Bronze assessment by Region, someone from Wing has told me blue… who knows! I see it references Silver in the IBN though (thanks @AlexCorbin).

2 Likes

My Wing did this course for those who did online OIC/SSIC. It was 2 days (non residential - although that was due to issues at the Station). One person could not do one of the 2 dates so did the second day on a different weekend. It was a mandatory pass, but failure only meant re-attending on another weekend. It was a Silver Leadership assessment.

1 Like

I am currently “half way” through the new process. Being a former CWO and becoming a CI I was able to apply for the officer route after 4 months however I did this at 8 months from CI appointment. Firstly although not compulsory it is highly recommended I did a 1 day course with our Wing Staff Development officer (Staff Leadership Course Part 1) which is giving you the information needed to make an informed decision on whether you want to go down the SNCO or officer route or even perhaps decide to stay where you are and all the information you need to know. After this I filled out my officer application with recommendations from my OC & Sector Commander.

8 weeks later I attended the Wing Filter board, our Wing organises it on a Multi Activity day so you have the boards in an office whilst other areas of the camp there will be shooting, fieldcraft etc. For my Wing Board I had the Wing Commander, Deputy Wing Commander and a Sector Commander (1 Wg Cdr & 2 Sqn Ldr’s) approx 50 mins interview which I passed and had a debrief afterwards with follow up information e-mailed with feedback and other areas to think about.

The next stage for me is the Regional Board with The Region Commandant and I have been told if available 2 Wing Commanders of Wing’s that I am not apart of so (1 Gp Cpt & 2 Wg Cdrs) after this interview if successful (fingers crossed) I will get my appointment to be acting Pilot Officer.
Before I go to Cranwell, our Wing arranges a “Staff Leadership Course Part 2” teaching you about what to expect and to close any knowledge gaps then you attend the 5 days/6 nights at Cranwell to mentor you into everything you need to know.

By the time I get to Pilot Officer (Dropping the acting) I would have done 8 full days of training (including AVIP) and 2 x 90 mins boards. Although I will be proud to wear the uniform and holding a CFC, the amount of homework for the boards I have put in has definitely surpassed anything that I have done for any job interviews I have done in the past. It is not only the RAFAC knowledge that is tested but the RAF and operations, current affairs and more. Then as you progress naturally further training when Squadron Commanders course comes around etc.

I enjoyed OASC. I completed OASC for the Regulars when I was younger, but ended up choosing a university path instead. The VR(T) process was had no real difference to the Regulars process, there was no medical, but if I recall that was the only difference.

I came away from the VR(T) process, proud to have passed and proud to wear the uniform.

Shame they’ve removed it, but I understand why.

There will now of course be a 3 tier system now:

Old style interview process

OASC

New (old) style interview process

I wonder whether that will be telling in the quality of Officers we see.

1 Like

Nor computer apptitude tests.

But everything else was the same.
Even the fitness when they very first releasd it this way…
Or for the first 3 or 4 OASCs before they realised the drop out rate was rediculous.

Seen a few new Officers recently, i wouldnt trust to not hurt themselves with playdough, frankly.

I highly doubt it. I’ve seen dreadful, incompetent and dangerous staff who went the OASC route and excellent staff who went the interview route and vice versa so the old argument that OASC would find better officers is nonsense. It’s silly to use the same selection process for military officers and glorified scout leaders. The requirements are different

2 Likes

I know at who I didn’t want to keep as a Staff Cadet (my sector Commander overrule me) who got through the OASC route.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of people on both routes that I wouldn’t trust to tie their own shoes….

2 Likes

While this is all well and good, and kudos for putting yourself through it, it’s 100% irrelevant to the role you’re undertaking and you’re being asked about it by people who also have zero background in it being relevant.

It’s also worth pointing out that the interview for people going into the real RAF as officers (or direct entry SNCOs) is only 12 minutes long.

5 Likes

Since when?

OASC interviews were previously around 45 minutes comprising RAF knowledge, Personal questions, and Current affairs, each around 15 minutes?

1 Like

But the regular interview is done by highly trained interviewers and is followed by a months-long pass/fail training course. Another 30 minutes for a RAFAC interview seems very reasonable.

Changed about a year ago.

The filter interview at the AFCO (or, via teams) is still, iirc, 40 minutes. But OASC is 12 minutes now.

Learn something new everyday…