IBN 56/2020 - Suspension of OASC

It does have many benefits when it comes to sending cadets on army and navy courses

It’s only been a part of the wedge for 10 minutes, it’s not like we’ve been doing it that way since the war!

3 Likes

I really hope that this gets extended as I have been waiting for a chat with sector commander since the end of February. I have had to change the date on my paperwork twice now and finally it looks like it might be moving in the right direction. I just hope that I can get the interview at region rather than a trip to Cranwell for a day for OASC and then do ATF virtually though I wouldn’t mind a week at ATF

I understand that one of the reasons for using the OASC route was that the process in each Region was so different that there was a requirement for standardisation. If the OASC process is now so restrictive, an option would be for a RAFAC wide process, applied at Regional level, with a member of (a yet to be constituted) HQAC Standardisation Team sitting in. No new staff required, just a reprioritisation of tasks…and what can be more important than an efficient and effective entry point for volunteers (if only officers)

4 Likes

From a conversation on my OIC. They said that the RAFAC pay the money for two full time posts at OASC. So, if we did take this new way of interviewing officers, why wouldn’t they then put that money towards the posts required and give them additional responsibilities with the ATF team too.

2 Likes

And that way we’d get the benefit of two full time posts rather than 20 days a year if that

1 Like

And given now that we know that interviews can be done via Teams, they can stay at Cranwell and still be involved in Regional boards without leaving their homes.

5 Likes

The additional they could do, is support ATF with training. The people they interview could get places at ATF in a shorter timescale with more people on courses. With two staff they are limited to 14 applicants face to face. Our differing training, they have had on the cards a WO course that has never come to life.

A couple of years ago it appeared on the course Calendar!

It appears and disappears because they don’t have the resource or time to do it

May I offer a bit of history?

As a young Executive Officer in the Civil Service, and with two years voluntary service as a CI, I was commissioned into the RAFVR(T) in mid 1960s, on the basis of my CO’s recommendation, and an interview at Wing HQ. The Board comprised the Wing CO, Wing Adj, and WSO. I had then to attend an Initial Commissioning Course. I remember having to confirm that my employer (a Civil Service Dept) had no objection to my being commissioned and I’d be very surprised if MOD did not seek confirmation and a reference. The Board knew me, and two members had regular (and wartime service) so they knew my commitment and could assess whether I was “officer material”. The initial course assured the RAF that I understood he responsibilities and privileges of being commissioned, and I recall, mess etiquette. Later I had to attend the Sqn Cdrs Course, aging to ensure I knew my role.

Half a century out of date, do I hear? Yes, but the Air Cadets Commandant and venerable VR(T) officers overwhelmingly were beribboned, and knew the key criteria for potential staff were a love for the RAF, a desire to do something for youth, and an aptitude for leadership. (With hindsight, there was probably a weakness in the appointment and training of Adult WOs. There were no more junior Adult NCOs in the Corps then.)

From experience as an assessor of job applicants in my career job, the essential data was the job specification, and therefore the qualities one was seeking. Questions were directed at discerning the potential to succeed in the job, and only on occasion did we need to look for the potential to fill top posts. OASC’s basic task is to assess whether candidates are “officer material” (“leadership potential” in OASC parlance) and fit for the Branch for which they have applied. In the case of the GD Branch, they also try to stream for pilot or WSO training. Surely in the case of RAFAC officer candidates the desired criteria have remained constant over the last half-century? Does the Corps not continue to seek people who favour the RAF, have a desire to do something for youth, and have an aptitude for leadership? Is not the Wing Commanding Officer best placed to assess these criteria, or is it merely red tape that requires a second opinion by the OC, OASC (also a Wing Commander)?

5 Likes

@VintageVRT, I’m afraid that I’m not sure I agree - on two fronts - firstly because the neither the old system nor the new, and their ethos, placed anything like enough emphasis on the qualities required by a professional youth organisation, and far too much on things that were and are barely relevant to what we actually do, and how we actually are, and secondly because the old system, and to degree the new system, let’s some right throbbers and chods through.

Much as I disagree with the OASC system, the unfortunate truth is there are Wing Commanders - and RC’s, and Deputy Wing Commanders out there who couldn’t lead a 3 year old to the toilet, who are inept and untrustworthy. They are simply, among the last people on earth who should be involved in selection, rejection, and training of officers, NCO’s and other youth workers.

(Or bags of chips).

Personally I think we should run an internal system, with a two stage recommendation system - OC’s, and then *another * OC who has taken the applicant away on a Sqn weekend/whatever, with the applicant then being assessed by an OASC-type arrangement but crucially, by ACO staff from another wing/region.

7 Likes

I get what you’re saying here. But senior volunteer staff being unsuitable doesn’t mean we shouldn’t use them. It means we should select them better. But I do like your idea of gaining OC, neutral OC, , Internal selection panel from another area

5 Likes

Sorry for the bump on such an old thread - reference IBN56/2020 though, has anyone else heard about the OiC Mod 4&5 that seem to have appeared out of thin air?

Curious to hear if any other regions / wings have received it.

What do you need to know? They are happening, at least down our way

Having been told it’s a mandatory weekend with no option of dates and you’re out if you fail to attend. We’ve now been told the TEST SNCO needs to watch us do a blue leadership exercise and do a drill test and that’s it.

Wow… that’s harsh! To me it smells of a lack of understanding of the word ‘volunteer’.

1 Like

I think they realised that when a load of us called their bluff. Hence the change

Its in an IBN 018-2021

It can be made really simple and volunteer friendly. Depends on who organising it :wink:

1 Like

It’s silver assessment criteria