IBN 049 - Revision to the Royal Air Force Air Cadets' Hair Policy

Our armed forces are too hung up on hair. The Scandinavian armed services are much more relaxed:

imo the same can be said for beards. Although interactions have been limited since the change in policy, some of the beards I did see are far from what can be considered either ā€œsmartā€ or ā€œprofessionalā€ when worn with the uniform

Absolutely.

They can take it from me over my cold, dead body. Beards for life.

1 Like

Beards do funny things to peopleā€¦ :fire: :fire: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I wonder how many boys and male staff will come back with a ā€œGareth Baleā€?
It never seems to change size so it must take more faffing around than a 2-3 monthly visit to the barber.

I canā€™t work out if this is true or bait. I have hair and canā€™t leave it for that time - I saw the results in May.

His hair would take similar effort to many girlsā€™ and womenā€™s - youā€™ve heard of ā€œeconomy of effortā€, but hereā€™s ā€œEQUALITY of effortā€! :wink:

My hair gets thick before it gets long and an old razor on the neckline and behind the ears every couple of weeks keeps that in check, so Iā€™m OK for 2-3 months. This year after 6 months without a trip to the barber the back and sides were OK, but there was just too much on top. NĀ°2 back and sides and a damn good thin on top in late August should see me to early Dec. I would normally go for a trim about now with Remembrance coming up, but with no formal parades I can retain the shekels. I did try going earlier than late August, but I flatly refused to queue up outside a barbers.

off topic

Ebay bargain during lockdown.

So far, Iā€™ve cut my hair now three times(or Mrs Tornado has for meā€¦) totalling to less than it would have cost me normally for three cuts.

returning topic to ā€˜onā€™ position

And now weā€™ve officially gone gender neutral on hair.

5 Likes

Happy days! How it should be!

3 Likes

Some people are going to be very angry about thisā€¦

Some may even leaveā€¦

And we will be better off without them.

12 Likes

Mullet here I come

6 Likes

Make it so.

Not before time.

1 Like

100%

Canā€™t wait to see the Facebook/Twitter meltdown of the ā€œwhen I did my national serviceā€ brigade.

3 Likes

In other news, has anyone noticed that the maximum length is stated differently in two places:

Text says: ā€œThe plait or ponytail is to be no wider than the wearerā€™s head and no longer than midway between the individualā€™s elbow and shoulderā€

yet the picture says:

I suppose it wouldnā€™t be a RAFAC uniform update without at least one direct conflict! But kudos to the way it was announced.

1 Like

Or is this to accommodate someone who has a really, really high waist and long arms?

1 Like

My contingent commander was unhappy about allowing girls pony tails (but went with it as the rules are rules). Would love to see her face when we get the first male cadet (now weā€™ve joined with another school) with a pony tailā€¦

Like this?

3 Likes