IBN 045 - SOVs and RAFAC Policy

Good luck if you live in somewhere like Devon, nearest stations are Brize in Oxfordshire or St Mawgan in Cornwall!

2 Likes

Spoken by someone who has probably never had a job outside the RAF and doesn’t know how the real world works.

I miss the days of having a serving officer as a commandant, when they couldn’t achieve anything in 2 year postings by the time they moved on. No real damage ever came of them.

The past few have all contributed to ruining the organisation. Depriving it of it’s core function and purpose. We have lost shooting, flying, gliding, camps and numerous other activities under their respective watches, but it’s OK because someone can deliver a powerpoint course about space.

1 Like

Lol.

I remember a couple of years ago LaSER all being told to massively cut down on transport as it was costing too much.

So I can still take cadets in my car, which only gets mechanically checked every 52 weeks? :man_shrugging::man_shrugging::man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yep. The logic is impeccable.

1 Like

This, right here, is the fundamental problem.

2 Likes

That sounds like something that should be avoided under the environmental impact part of your sqn MT risk assessment. . . .

3 Likes

The SOVs will no longer be under the direct control of RAFAC

err…“no longer”?? When were they under the direct control?

The Civilian Committee will take on full responsibility for the maintenance of the SOV

err…will - future tense? What has been happening since year-dot?

thinking out loud:
CWC are charities and operate independently - right?

If as a Squadron OC I went to a Minibus operator, that was a local independent charity which supported the youth in its area by offering a 15 seater minibus, that is still permitted right, in much the same way I can still go to Hertz or Enterprise for Minibus hire?

If that local charity went under the name of 123 (Mytown) ATC and I hired the vehicle off them, perhaps at the very reasonable rate of £0.01/day that would still be within the rules right?
As that Charity will have insurance in place for the vehicle, will be conducting appropriate MOT, Servicing and mid-interval inspections (say every 12 weeks) in much the same was as the Capitalist Hertz or Enterprise I am now getting a SOV-like minibus at a much more competitive rate while at the same time supporting a local charity…

savvy?

4 Likes

As indeed there are community transport charities that are set up to do exactly that.

Maybe they could manage the SOCs for us

That’s a tempting idea. Sell (or even sub-lease) the vehicle to a community transport charity, then rent it back from them for a nominal charge. Anyone like to form the charity Air Cadet Transport?

I think there is merit in that. This only applies to Squadron Owned Vehicles. Simply transfer ownership away from the squadron and ta-da! Problem solved.

3 Likes

This vaguely reminds me of a certain rugby club . . .

10 Likes

my point exactly.

123 (Mytown) ATC Vehicle Hire operate as a charity and as part of their operational mantra and inline with their charity aims, they only hire their fleet to those in the community who meet their requirements…which are

• to promote and encourage among young men and women a practical interest in aviation and the Royal Air Force.
  • To provide training which will be useful both in the Services and civil life.
  • To foster the spirit of adventure.
  • To develop qualities of leadership and good citizenship.

providing those conditions are met, and say within a 5 mile radius of the vehicle fleet location anyone can use the vehicles providing they are available

2 Likes

7 Likes

This could work really well tbh. The OC could then also be a trustee of said charity. Might also help with funding towards your minibus as it’s then a separate charity :grin:

1 Like

What would the legislation be for things like that?

Remember regardless of what anyone says, the RAFAC are entitled to claim for white fleet vehies and have them delivered and collected to/from an address :smirk:

That is standard practice in my wing for White Fleet vehicles.

No extra permission or process needed. it is the standard for all White Fleet vehicle bookings. Delivery and pickup location that suits the CFAV ie home address on delivery the keys are stuck through letter box and keys returned by leaving them in a pre arranged location on pickup day. That info is provided when booking is requested. No need for CFAV’s to be in attendance for pick up or drop off

1 Like

Those of you suggesting that this will just result in more use of CFAV/cadet/parent cars greatly underestimate HQAC. They will cotton on to this and implement the same requirements for vehicle checks in private cars, advance registration of insurance certificates, commercial driving qualifications etc.

2 Likes

no idea I was thinking out loud…what do Hertz or Enterprise have in place that is different?