I’m bored of basic tasks , any suggestions for cool activities

I have been at cadets for nearly two year now .
I am planning on going to Nijmegen 2024 . Does anyone know any strenuous or thrill seekers activities like ten tors or JL

Tackling this from an AT perspective, what do you want to do. And how old are you???

If you’re old enough go and get some qualifications. Lowland Leader, Paddlesport Leader, Climbing Wall Award etc. Or start going towards higher level awards along a particular line (HML, ML etc).

If you’re not old enough, go and start doing and logging those activities to develop your skillset and inform your future self when presented with challenges.

These will present you personal challenges which should stretch your comfort zone and give you the buzz you’re seeking. Leading a group where you are the one in charge and making those key decisions - even in a benign environment - can still be really engaging.

If your Wing isn’t running them, ask staff to make contact with your WATTO and put you in contact. They may well be able to link you in to peers in a similar position, get you involved with people undergoing their training or get you in contact with some recently qualified staff so you can benchmark yourself, get an idea of expectations and levels required and get you on the road to useful and enabling qualifications. All of which, unusually for RAFAC quals, are actually recognised outside of the organisation.

2 Likes

I’m Turning 16 this year so should be able to do most things next year .

I’m struggling to find things being run in our wing- probably because our wing just disbanded (herts and bucks)

Off topic I know, But Herts and Bucks has disbanded??

It was always in the plan for C&E Region - Essex Wing is now part of that region too.

All of these changes have happened, but none have been effectively communicated. Again.

If you’re just turning 16 this year, I’d also look at DofE. Again, it presents a challenge across several levels which may help keep you engaged and inspired.

Also make links with your Wing Road Marching Officer if you’re looking for Nijmegan, they maybe able to support you with the various other road marches along the way… assuming your newly merged wing has one…

If you’re into AT, and you’re 16, see if you can support your staff and cadets by asking if your local mountain/lowland rescue team will visit your Sqn to give a lesson on self-evacuation, making your team more visible to rescue teams, casualty/team management in an emergency etc…

Find out how to talk to SAR helicopters - signalling distress, and not distress.

Having fantastic first aid skills are irrelevant if the SAR helicopter flies right past you because either they didn’t see you, or that they couldn’t tell that you were the group they were looking for…

1 Like

As a joint entity yes, but Bucks have gone to TVW and Herts has stood up on its own right. All to do with the RFCA boundary realignment exercise.

Remind me, what benefit do RFCA actually create at a squadron level? I’m yet to find one.

How close are you to neighbouring Wings?

Priority would naturally go to attendees from the Wing that are organising / hosting an activity - but you may find room on activities being run by neighbouring Wings - but you’ll need to be able to rely on getting to. / from the activity.

Wing Road Marching Officer should be able to advise regarding Nijmegen. (You will need to be at least 16, by the Friday before Nijmegen (third week in July).

If no joy from your WRMO or your Wing doesn’t haven’t one in post, you could ask you sqn staff to contact your Region Road Marching Officer.

Ask you staff about Wing Adventure Training Camp.

And - you could always suggest activities for your squadron - for example, contact your local sailing / canoeing / climbing / mountain biking groups…. Or Go Ape, for a high ropes activity…