How to wear mtp waterproofs?

Hey all,

Just wondering do you wear the MTP lightweight waterproof jacket under the MTP
smock or over the smock?

Many thanks.

I wear it instead of a smock, but it should go over - assuming it is big enough. The only reason to wear a waterproof under a smock would be if your smock was already soaked.

2 Likes

As a Cadet I wear it instead of a smock when it’s raining. The SNCOs don’t like it though because of “uniformity” so most of the time I gotta take it off and become soggy.

2 Likes

It depends entirely on what you’re doing, how long you’ll be doing it, and how bad the weather is.

If I was doing 30 minutes foot drill in the rain on a Sqn night, I’d wear it over my smock/whatever. If I was spending the entire day on the range/training area and the weather was going to be foul I’d wear it underneath my smock - I’d need the pockets of my smock, and I’d want to protect the fragile gore-tex from the rough and tumble of a day on the training area.

Horses for courses…

2 Likes

However do they cope when some people are legitimately wearing CS95 waterproofs in MTP?

8 Likes

Tell them tough. Becomes a welfare issue if they’re refusing.

5 Likes

I thought lightweight waterproofs went under the smock, heavyweight went over?

In my experience regulars are less interested in such rubbish.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

In both the regular and reserves there are only three rules when it comes to individual field dress choices: could you cause a blue-on-blue, are you going to make yourself ill, and can you be seen from a greater distance than had you been wearing what your CO is wearing.

Once those are covered no one cares.

The ACO’s fussiness with regards to how MTP/DPM is worn is both unwarranted and ridiculous - not least because just a week after getting all bent out of shape over how cadet B chooses to wear her waterproofs on a range, it will send her out on a three day DofE expedition in a far more exposed environment and tell her it’s entirely up to her how she chooses to dress…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.