How to shout

When taking drill I was told by one of the CI’s - who is also an ex regular WO - that I need to be louder and shout when doing drill. Despite my greatest efforts I don’t seem to be able to get loud enough. So does anyone have any advice on how to shout louder when taking drill?

There’s a difference between shouting and projecting your voice… Its difficult to explain on a forum as it easier to explain face to face . But I guarantee you are giving drill commands utilising the throat, screaming the commands almost when for maximum effect the diaphrahm should be used to ensure clarity and effectiveness of commands… Similar to how singing works.

Google, diaphragm projection exercises,

4 Likes

Also, don’t scream every section of the order, it isn’t necessary, the best drill commands are given with clear, projected introductionary and cautionary sections, then, the final word of command, the executive, can be very loud and sharp. You will find, that as long as you gave clear introductions and cautionary commands, the cadets will do the right action, even if you shorten the executive to one nonsensical syllable. The quicker that last syllable, the snappier the order.

When I was in Cornwall, I saw a new Cpl, with a very Cornish accent, give the command “About, Turrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn.” Half the squad went on ‘t’, others waited for the ‘rn’ and others started somewhere in the middle., with a mexican wave effect. Whereas shouting ‘TUN’ really quickly, will produce a better result.

4 Likes

The number one difficulty / problem I find with cadet NCOs is annunciation.
There is a common tendency to run the words together with a sort of ‘sing-song’ cadence.
“Flightmovetotherightrighttuuuurn!”

Practice breaking the phrases down, particularly the introductory part of the command.
“Flight. Saluting… To… the Front… [pause]…To the Front… [pause] SALUTE!”

I do this.

I’m not sure I see it as a problem (happy to be convinced otherwise) so long as the annunciation is there, and the executive is sharp?

I’d argue it helps with predicability if the timing is always there?

To use the same example, I’d go for:

“MoveToTheRight… Riiiiiiight (eq to 2 paces in quick time)… Tun”

I’d second the “from the diaphragm” point - that’s where the projection comes from.

That’s the point I’m getting at. With the words all run together, the annunciation isn’t there. When giving run-together commands for a large formation, particularly if the person is quiet, all one can hear in the flight is a mumble of noise.
One can discern a sharp executive, but one may not have a clue what movement they’re supposed to be performing.

Absolutely. The timing should always be there; but the example “Move, To, the Right” should ideally be given with the words “Move”, “To”, and “Right” tapping out the beat, as it were.
And then one should include the correct pauses between Introductory, Cautionary, and Executive parts of the command.

1 Like

Thanks for all yours advice, I’m also trying to break my Bristolian accent with long rrrr’s with word like turn and march.

Tun,

Much,

Soot,

Aze,

2 Likes

Or (linking with that other thread) the British Army way… A good, high-pitched “BLAAHH!” :wink:

1 Like

It sounds silly - but go somewhere you can make a “bit of noise” (quite a lot in fact…) without either embarrassing yourself or annoying others…

ROAR!!!

Genuinely - ROAR!!! Make like a lion! REALLY give it some effort!

If you sound like a chihuahua or a jack russell, yapping - you’re not doing it right…try again…

Half the battle is “finding” your voice…

You’ll find that trying to make a roar sound, your mouth and throat “open” wider and you.should find it easier to find a the deeper notes that come from your diagphram…

Once you’ve done that - try pronouncing key words differently / for instance…

SQUAD…. try SQU.- AWE - - Duh…!

Say it loud enough and you’ll get their attention…. Once you’ve found your voice - you’ll then work out how to project “quietly”, because although you’re not using as much gusto - you’re still using the same muscles…

1 Like