How to get flying opportunities?

I possess a very great interest in aviation and I aspire to eventually become a pilot in the RAF to any aircraft. However, my squadron only has a few basic flying opportunities a year; and since I’ve already been flying and there are many new cadets, it is very unlikely that I will get to go again this year, or even the next. I would like to somehow access other flying opportunities such as scholarships maybe? I know that seems like a very long stretch, and I know competitions to win these exist, but I want to know all of my options.

Thank you very much.:slightly_smiling_face:

You’ve missed the cut-off date for powered flying scholarships, but you can apply for gliding scholarships until end of Feb:

Look up local flying schools. It will cost but when the Corps is offering so little if it’s what you want to do, I’m sure your family will be sympathetic.

Ask about joining your local AEF or VGS as a Staff Cadet.

IIRC you will need to be recommended by a VGS and normally after completing a course however, an AEF may take you on if your are keen and show the correct attitude.

ACP 20 pers 504 and 505 to see if you meet the criteria

1 Like

better still look at gliding.

the vast majority of clubs listed on the BGA “find a club” list have “junior membership” which in some cases goes as high at 25 yrs old reducing the price by 2 thirds on average.

with an average winch launch under £8 and 40p/min flying you could go gliding for an hour (£32) which is a fraction the cost of an hours flying lesson

(ok so it requires experience and pilot skill to remain gliding for an hour but even 2x 30 minute flights (£40) or 4x 15 mins flights (£60) end up considerably cheaper.
it is worth looking at if you are serious about getting airbourne but don’t have the funds for £100/hour experience flights or £200 lessons)

I based the comment on my local situation where we have 4 flying clubs within 25 miles road distance and no gliding.
But yes on a cost base can’t beat gliding over powered.
I wonder what it costs for the ATC per launch?

Not much point if you live in Wales. No VGS in wales and the AEF only flies in the week. It is a long drive to Little Rissington from my wing, Over 300 mile round trip for many Sqns.

But if you don’t live in Wales, then Scrounger’s may well be good advice (or even if you live in certain parts of Wales too).

Being seen to have an interest, and made an effort to get involved, in aviation will stand you in good stead should you wish to make an application to the forces, be it RAF, FAA or even AAC. The quality of this involvement should take priority over quantity. By that I mean, for example, that going to your local gliding club may give you more opportunities to “get involved” than just turning up at a local flying school and paying for several hours of flying lessons (which will count for virtually zero at OASC - yes you may do some theorectical groundschool, but your exams results prove you can learn, and you’ll gain relatively little from PPL flying into service flying other than basic principles).

There is no “right” answer.:slightly_smiling_face:

So I’ve done some digging with those i know would know/be able to find out and they said ~£3 per winch launch