How to get current CCF (RAF) Cadet on ATC Squadron SMS

Has anyone had experience of a CCF (RAF) cadet wanting to join their ATC squadron? If so, how did you go about it?

I can see the cadet has a record on SMS under the school’s CCF, would they be supernumerary with the ATC unit, or would you create them a new profile?

If they’re primary as CCF, will that restrict them from accessing anything like cadet portal, exams etc?

Not had a CCF cadet but have had AT. cadets at & from other squadrons so I would work on the same principle and have them supernumerary.

That way the same person does not have duplicate records on SMS and you don’t have to do duel entry.

Now if only Westminster would link with Bader & port quals over that would be fab.

I had one from a local CCF, we had to create him a new profile.

It’s all well and good having just the one account but they may well have different ranks and isn’t the classification syllabus different?

Yes, that was my thinking too. How portable are they. I also know that the CCFs seem to prefer using Westminster, so it’s not guaranteed anything will have been logged on their SMS profile.

You need to engage with their head of section/contingent anyway as they can only be in both organisations of both OC’s are happy.

1 Like

And this will happen more under the over-18 directive. CCF cadets will be encouraged to join their local ATC on leaving school ( if they wish) to continue their service up to 20.

No one realised that CCF and ATC operate on two different systems :man_facepalming:t2:

I had one of my cadets join the ATC. He initially went supernumerary there, but then couldn’t access cadet portal so we transferred him there and added him supernumerary to us.
Now CCF do have access to cadet portal so I guess it’s just the same as if they were supernumerary at another ATC unit.
One thing to consider though is the rank. Some CCFs rank by age group (entirely wrong IMHO). You may find it easier to make a new cadet and let them wear different ranks at each unit.

Not anymore. We’re on the full PTS system now. Which is a shame because it’s much worse than the old CCF Part 1/2 and Advanced. Though not all CCFs have moved over in practice

1 Like

So they do 3 subjects at each level the same as the ATC?

I wouldn’t call classifications part of the PTS if I’m honest, they are a legacy and since you pick your subjects at Senior/Master they aren’t progressive at all.

1 Like

Transfer will be at level rank :man_shrugging:t2:

That’s what we did, considering that the local CCF didn’t even wear blues you could hardly have the same expectations of them as their peers.

1 Like

Even to LCpl?

1 Like

Yes. With none of the useful additional skills or courses required anymore.

I refer to it as PTS because that’s when they foisted the change on us.

1 Like

A transfer maybe. But if supernumerary on one then it could cause problems if promotion is done on wildly different terms and philosophies. Not to mention CWO issues. As a June birthday I only got CWO in ATC just before heading to uni. I’d had it in CCF since just after my 17th birthday.

2 Likes

OK thanks everyone. Sounds like I’ll get them to join as a new starter, but not get them to do any unnecessary junior cadet training.

Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.