How do you store your essentials for uniform care?

Just curiosity really but wondered how everyone stores their uniform care essentials? Bags etc

Wardrobe or chairdrobe, depending on mood.

1 Like

With an occasional floordrobe? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I also reccomend Bedrobe and Cardrobe

1 Like

But sonewhat serious answer ill get a variety of hard sided storage containers and keep bits of kit that are lesser used - also a smaller one for shoes (with shoo polishing kit.

Hangars

And a old Roses/Celebrations tin for sewing supplies and other miscellaneous bits etc.

Not for shoes in the summer. Hard recommendation to avoid that from me!

1 Like

Branching out from “care essentials”, my serious response is this:

Shoes - in a shoe box just wide enough for a snug and secure fit when alternated, soft cloth over the top just in case. That box is the most precious thing I own. The polish is next to my bathroom sink. I have a shoe care kit box, but it’s ornamental.

Shirts - I have my regulars on hangars and a couple of spares wherever I left them. Sometimes, I have my clean ones on hangars and some others wherever I left them. Occasionally, I get a little muddled and the clean ones are nowhere to be seen and the dirty ones are on hangars. Spray starch is under the kitchen sink and iron is next to the toaster. The ironing board is “stored” as a table and used as such. I keep the board cover clean by coating it in a layer of unread post.

Shirts in winter - if good for another wear, inside the jumper, maybe on a hangar, maybe over a door.

When transporting shirts, I iron them before leaving, put on a hangar, top button and then alternate buttons down, then I drape the sleeves across the front of the shirt and use hair grips to hold them in place. Then they go in the suit carrier.

Trousers - clippy hangar, or carefully draped over a chair or door, pulling the creases out so it’s a flat fold. I will also use a couple of grips to hold the legs’ creases together - they don’t grip so hard that it’s extra effort when you run the iron over them, but for both shirts and trousers it can help prevent additional twisting and folding/creasing.

Peak - in a hat box. Nothing fancy, just the cardboard box it came in. There’s all kind of other stuff in there too like velcro, sharpies, a highlighter, some old post, and empty box from something, and a soft cloth for the peak.

Beret - somewhere, I’ll find it if I need it. It’ll be in my smock pocket or MTP trouser belt loops. Occasionally I lose it by putting it somewhere safe that I’ll remember. Sometimes an old razor comes out from the depths of my travel wash kit for a little spruce-up.

Boot cleaning kit… I have some brushes somewhere, and some leder gris, but the boots I wear most often don’t require polishing so if I can’t find a clean brush to knock the mud off I may occasionally use a flannel…

Brasso - I have multiple tins of Brasso and one is still on my living room table (the under shelf, I’m not a monster), but I can tell you now that the tin I will be using on the Banner next remembrance probably hasn’t been manufactured yet.

Sewing kit is in a drawer. If you want to know which drawer the answer is probably “yes” (the definitive answer is that there is a kit in my webbing, it lives there and never gets used. I daren’t move it just in case one day I do need it and I didn’t check it was there beforehand. That’s pretty much the state my webbing lives in perpetually, which is great for all things except the coffee flask…). Sometimes the benefit to being disorganised is that you don’t have to remember where things are, because you bought new things the last 10 times you lost the things and they are ALL in different places! I can tell you exactly where my blob of recycled blue-tack is though, and half a dozen things I care about so much I haven’t seen in 10 years, let alone used…

I have waterproofer under the kitchen sink. and a couple boxes of liquid brown polish on the table next to my sofa. There’s another one on top of mi hi-fi.

My double sided whetstone is in the end pouch of one of my deployment bags.

My trouser twists live in my boots. This is intentional. I sometimes play a prank on future me and put them both in the same boot. This is unintentional.

Any kit that I’ve missed?

1 Like

Do people not just use shoe boxes and hangers?

Personally I prefer shoe bags to shoe boxes. Easier to pack and they give the shoes a nice polish rather than letting them scuff each other.

Edit: Also, a proper suit carrier is essential (not a bin bag over a coat hanger or the ones new suits come in) and a hat box.

I should clarify that my shoes are soles down in the box, so no scuffing.