Hill Walking

What walks around the UK would you all recommend? Post-lockdown, I’m feeling very motivated to get outdoors and explore what we have to offer. I’ve bagged 2 Munros to date, so will probably begin by ticking a few more off but looking further afield for something different later on in the year!

I guess it depends where you are & how far you want to travel! What 2 Munros have you done?

1 Like

At this point, I’m open to travelling far & wide if safe to do so! I did both Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers together!

Ah yeh - I’ve heard a (niche!) quiz question of “what are the 5 most popular Munros by ascent?”, and Beinn Ghlas is one of them because most people do it on the way to (or from) Ben Lawyers from the SNT carpark.

If you want to start relatively benign and are in the north of UK:

Scotland

• Schiehallion (big car park! up and down in not much more than half a day)
  • Ben Lomond is actually pretty nice - especially if you do it as a circular walk over Ptarmigan too - but I’d recommend on a weekday out of holiday season!
  • Ben Vorlich & Stùc a Chroin (if you fancy a bit of an easy scramble)
  • if you want excitement - Ben Nevis via the CMD arete

England

• 1, 2, or 3 of the Yorkshire 3 Peaks
  • Kinder Scout from Hayfield
  • the whole ridge of Mam Tor → Lose Hill (although the nicest way back is just to retrace the outward route)
  • The Cheviot if you want something much more remote feeling, but still straightforward and do-able in a day (added bonus of an emergency refuge near the summit which I have actually slept in - planned)
  • Scafell Pike is probably the hardest of the 3 “3 peaks” because of the boulder hopping near the summit - I’d recommend doing it from Seathwaite or Langdale rather than Wast Water, although they’re longer walks
  • Helvellyn via Striding Edge is a good intro to ridge walking if it’s very good weather

Wales

• Pen-y-Fan is straightforward
  • Snowdon (obvs), Llanberis Path is the least interesting of the main paths
  • the Y Garn / Glyder Fawr / Glyder Fach loop
  • the Northern Carneddau are good for nav practice, but easy to get to from the coast / Conwy valley
  • once you’re happy with scrambling, Tryfan! (south ridge is a much shorter scramble, more introductory)

I’ll stop here… I could literally talk about hills all day :flushed: :nerd_face:

6 Likes

My first experience of Striding Edge was as a 14 year old cadet. Heavy snow on the ground and very foggy. It was extremely hairy so I would echo the comment about good weather.

That being said it remains one of my favourite walks.

2 Likes

Don’t get @ccw34 started!
I could add New Forest great for a bit of WW2 history near Ashley Walk
Southdowns - do the Southdowns way for a nice challenge
Yorkshire Dales
North York Moors
Lakes - so many off the beaten track places.

Trail Magazine is good for routes and I’ve started using Komoot for ideas for local routes.

2 Likes

+1 for komoot, very good at giving you little gems, and you can filter out down to the type, length, locality you want.

1 Like

Sorry! :flushed: :grimacing:

If you want to explore what’s on offer in different areas around Scotland then a site I’ve often used is Walkhighlands. Has a lot of good information on everything from distance and estimated time routes will take to where to park to start the walks.

1 Like

That’s 10 mins from my house and a fav walk

2 Likes

This forum is a fountain of wisdom! Thank you all! @ccw34 that’s an impressive list!

Crib Goch?

Full winter conditions at the mo!

1 Like

as @WelshML says, it’s proper winter conditions at the moment. Only attempt it if you’ve done it before, are experienced with ice axe and crampons, and are comfortable with the exposure in those conditions.

Even in summer conditions, it’s not a route for a beginner to take on Snowdon

2 Likes