Hide and seek :3

Hi all,

I’d just like to ask, what are the needs and requirements to carry out a basic few round stories of hide and seek in an effort to asses (not “teach”) cadets skills at camouflage and concealment? The plan we have currently would take place on the squadron grounds. Can anyone enlighten me on a process to executing this or any useful ACPs?

Regards

See your Fieldcraft Officer.

1 Like

The current fieldcraft regs and lessons are in the ATF section on Bader SharePoint.

Current regs require authorised instructors to teach fieldcraft. But on Sqn activities no longer need Wing approval.

Why not get your Wg FCO or their deputy to come down and ‘judge’?

1 Like

Interesting question - would an ACF instructor count? Teaching fieldcraft is part of the core training we do as instructors, and it is our main reason for existing. Could be interesting getting some cooperation going between units.

2 Likes

i am not a fieldcraft person so speaking on opinion rather than experience or fact

but i can’t see why not. an authorised person in my understanding is someone with training and experience. as it is the raison d’etre for the ACF i can’t see why an ACF instructor would not be suitable (on the basis they have some evidence of training)

this has been said since the dawn of time (or at least in my time in the RAFAC). I have been on 8 different Units, and all but 3 of those shared accommodation with the ACF.
some had no relationship whatsoever, others an acknowledgement, but none ever engaged with the other in a worthwhile manner. (a fault of both sides before anyone takes offence I am pushing blame one way).
the only example i know of was just before i joined as a Cadet the Squadron had an annual 5-a-side match with the ACF. it was talked about in my early days but for one or another reason never went ahead that year and then was never ever mentioned again other than the SNCOs recalling the “good old days” when it happened.

I am not disagreeing with the concept but yet to see it happen in the 10s/100s of times I have heard it said.
(the same is said for neighbouring Sqns working closer together - but rarely happens. I a unit i was once with used to utilise the neighbouring Squadrons range once a month, giving us shooting opportunities we’d otherwise not have but stopped when their range was closed)

1 Like

It is a valid question and one which I don’t have a definitive answer for. I will try to find out.

In my experience it only happens when someone reaches out. No one sitting in an office in an HQ somewhere is going to make it happen (maybe that should be a thing though?). All I can say is I personally would be happy to help out my local ATC unit but they haven’t actually asked me, and they do have my email address. I’m sure some cadets would be up for that as well. Most recently my local unit helped out the new local VPC unit by teaching them drill for Remembrance Sunday.

Oh completely, it only ever happens if someone wants (help) what the other has

All I can say is I personally would be happy to help out my local ATC unit but they haven’t actually asked me

I also know this to be true, there is one climber/trekker in our Wing who will happily be the qualified bod to make things happen, people just need to ask and 9/10 they help out.

unfortunately there tends to be little reason to reach out to others who might be in need/help or could benefit as we are all such a closed house, be that as a boundary between ATC and ACF or between units themselves.

1 Like

So we can carry out fieldcraft centred exercises and scenarios without approval from wing?

Also, I have not heard of our wing fieldcraft officer

1 Like

Yes with Sqn OC sign off, if it is taught by a qualified ATC fieldcraft instructor.

It is a reverse of the old system where the instructors didn’t need a qual at Sqn level but it needed sign off from the Wg FCO.

The ratio for the FTIs is 1:10 day 1:8 night

1 Like