Hexamine

Just a very quick one I have been informed that Cadets are not allowed to use Hexamine blocks for cooking anymore is this true? and if so where is it written down?

Cheers!!

I had heard this too, however, the only reference Iā€™ve found regarding hexamine is in the generic risk assessment for fieldcraft, supplied as part of ACP16, which states that hexamine is the only fuel to be used on FT.

Hi, they are not allowed to use Hexy for DOE, perhaps someone has just picked up on that, not aware there has been any change for field craft

Nothing on this side of the fence. What else are we to issue them to cook with?

What is the reason for not using them on DofE?

What is the reason for not using them on DofE?[/quote]
Who would choose to use hexamine when there are so many other choices?

What is the reason for not using them on DofE?[/quote]

I think itā€™s just down to leaving burned patches on camp sitesā€¦

i suspect the same kind of people who hail from the camp which refuse to use/state that meths is inappropriate fuel for Cadets to use and insist on gas converters

i suspect the same kind of people who hail from the camp which refuse to use/state that meths is inappropriate fuel for Cadets to use and insist on gas converters[/quote]
Or that group of people who say you cannot use ration packs on DOfE.

In the ACF there was talk of moving to 12 hour ration packs which come with self heating systems.

The idea of the 12 hour rat pack was to save money, as those who are out for a day and a bit donā€™t require 2 x 24 hr packs. I havenā€™t seen one yet though.

for anyone interested in a conspiracy theory, users of DTE land will know that (certainly the last time i could be bothered to read the infinate small print of SOā€™sā€¦) Hexamine was the only cooking fuel allowedā€¦

of course, no one would believe that a certain viewpoint within HQAC/Regions would seek to make use of DTE land practically impossible via the backdoor without going to the couragous step of publicly banning it out-right?

shurely shome mishtake?

hexamine has some nasty chemical properties (check Wikepedia of really interested). Should it be used at all??!!?

Meths can do nasty things if mishandled, as can gas. Not forgetting petrol stoves of course. Duty of care and all that.

Bring back the old paraffin primus pressure stove and good old camp fires.

1 Like

camp fires have, iā€™m told, somewhat negative effects on the moor and woodland often found on DTE land. i fear they will not be part of the glorious futureā€¦

Hexi, like most things, is only dangerous if youā€™re an idiot or allowed to behave like an idiot. personally iā€™ve not used it for years because, well, its pretty rubbish compred to a jet boil, but iā€™d take the view that anyone who banned hexi because it was potentially dangerous ought also to ban shoe laces because, theoretically, they could become wrapped around the neck.

iā€™ve said it before, and no doubt iā€™ll say it again - HQAC are playing a very dangerous game: everytime they make the cadet experience less fun, or more hassle, they hasten the day when people will leave - and if enough people leave/donā€™t join, then the MOD will discover it doesnā€™t need an HQ full of people on very nice salaries to run a barely existing organisationā€¦

iā€™m sure, however, that the fried chicken retail sector in Lincoln will always be looking for good people.

Cadets like the idea of hexi because is summons up visions of warriness and I imagine some staff as well, who like to think theyā€™re living the dream, but have a jetboil stowed away for when no oneā€™s looking.

[quote=ā€œangusā€ post=22251]iā€™ve said it before, and no doubt iā€™ll say it again - HQAC are playing a very dangerous game: everytime they make the cadet experience less fun, or more hassle, they hasten the day when people will leave - and if enough people leave/donā€™t join, then the MOD will discover it doesnā€™t need an HQ full of people on very nice salaries to run a barely existing organisationā€¦

iā€™m sure, however, that the fried chicken retail sector in Lincoln will always be looking for good people.[/quote]
Theyā€™d close the shop within days.
Given the timescales they work to I donā€™t think theyā€™s cope. Someone comes in for a bargain bucket ā€¦ theyā€™d need to have to have 5 meetings to arrange the meeting to discuss it followed by another 5 meetings to do nothing over a period of 2-3 years ā€¦ not exactly the timescale someone coming in and expecting food packaged and on their way within a few minutes would expect. In this time the manager would have changed, so they can ignore everything previously discussed and start the cycle again.
OR
The customer being told they canā€™t have the item chosen because someone in another fast food chain had a bucket fall apart so now theyā€™ve stopped using it and they need to look at all the other packaging as well and get that assessed for suitability, so now you canā€™t have any food at all. Despite everyone else in fast food land, just carrying on as normal.

1 Like

Bring back Primus stoves?? Mine have never been put away, theyā€™re clean, efficient and easy to use if used correctly.

Hexamine was invented in 1936 at Murrhardt, Germany.
Some of its nice combustion products are Formaldehyde, ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide.

According to an Army safety data sheet dated 2001 it is perfectly safe.

Thinksā€¦ I wonder why a lot of army types use gas or liquid fuel stoves instead?

[quote=ā€œsyplandā€ post=22258]Hexamine was invented in 1936 at Murrhardt, Germany.
Some of its nice combustion products are Formaldehyde, ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen cyanide.

According to an Army safety data sheet dated 2001 it is perfectly safe.

Thinksā€¦ I wonder why a lot of army types use gas or liquid fuel stoves instead?[/quote]Because hexiā€™s crap, not because itā€™s dangerous.

It is however cheap and easy to train people on.

because gas and liquid boils water a lot faster, is controllable, and you can switch it off?

Hexi is also easy to store and transport, which is quite important when youā€™re doing the whole ā€˜being an Army at warā€™ thingā€¦ lots of people will use a jet boil on an exercise, but finding the little gas cannisters 4 months into a tour in Now Zad or Kajaki isnā€™t easy, and oddly enough the crabs arenā€™t overly keen on putting the little pressurised gas cannisters on their precious helicopters when our bearded friends are going to be shooting at themā€¦

The idea of the 12 hour rat pack was to save money, as those who are out for a day and a bit donā€™t require 2 x 24 hr packs. I havenā€™t seen one yet though.[/quote]I have - comes in a plastic bag like the brew kit and is basically the lunch + snacks and drinks from the 24hr pack, plus a heater.

The heater is fantastic though, great bit of kit - probably lighter than hexi, similar water loss (no evaporation, but you do of course have to throw the water you do use away) and works brilliantly in the wind, doesnā€™t smell, smoke or leave black treacly crap everywhere.