Help!

So… my squadron is pretty big ( biggest in my wing) and has very high standards ( picked for an award called the Moris trophy) and to get promoted to a JNCO or higher they do a selection process E.G: show good leadership. There is also a 5 minuet presentation that you have to do and interview this is fine for me but DRIll ( taking a flight) is my BIG weak point I’ve never done it and would probably stand (almost faint ) and have a voice break every time I shout commands I need advice as I will be tasked to lead drill next week does anyone high rank have tips to improve my confidence ( I know to shout from my abdomen) but need advice on how to not be nervous and do well any would help

Ask your English teacher for advice on elocution and spelling, as these are things a JNCO should set an example of, which I believe from reading your post, you lack. Ensure you demonstrate perfect drill as this commonly boosts confidence (raise your head high and shoulders back). Always have uniform perfect etc. This will undoubtedly boost your confidence, earn the respect of your cadets and make you feel more confident in the role of drill commander. If your Squadron is so big then why don’t you have a Sgt/FS/CWO take parade?

I hope this all works out for you!

AMW

1 Like

Best advice i give is pick the point where the wall meets the ceiling and look at that. The fact that you arent making eye contact with them will help settle your nerves, ask for opportunities to practice. With the voice issues. Pick a command i.e. right turn, something quite simple. Start by speaking it in the correct ICE technique and over time get louder and louder it will train your diaphram…In a cadet environment there really is never a need to scream so loud your lungs are projected out your mouth several feet. It is all about projection of voice… you can get the same impact by speaking loudly as you can screaming out drill commands…

Trust me even as a DI i still get nervous at times…its natural.

1 Like

AMW’s comments are not helpful. One cannot tell what your elocution is like from a written question. Your spelling is fine. And no one is perfect all the time.

Everyone in front of a group of people will FEEL nervous. The more you do it the more you will feel at ease.

I would disagree with Jeffmoye as I was merely giving constructive advice, arguably the main aim of the forum. I did not intend to cause offence and was merely reccomending a plan of action in regards to bolstering confidence. I think the spelling was clearly of a sub-average standard and that is something that isn’t necessarily bad but could do with some improvement . I decided to state elocution due to the fact the majority of cadets don’t speak in the correct manner for drill commands. Correct elocution to this level can really bolster confidence, as I saw from a young Cdt Cpl on my flight.

AMW

2 Likes

Good spelling and elocution is not a prerequisite for becoming a JNCO; however, demonstration of leadership and being able to gain the respect of your peers is.

I would recommend the OP have a chat with their Squadron Warrant Officer or similar who should be able to give advise/give instruction on drill commands etc. I hope things go well for the OP but please remember promotion isn’t the be all and end all.

Their spelling is pretty good compared to some people’s I’ve seen. “Minuet” seems more like a typo than a way anybody actually thinks minute is spelled. It could probably do with some more punctuation but I’ve seen worse from other cadets.

The reason why my spelling was off and my punctuation is because I was typing quick. Thanks for all the advice that people have given

Good luck CDTx. Sorry if what I said came out the wrong way!

3 Likes

Would your Sqn give you the opportunity to take a small group of cadets as practice?

Id hooe so…i let every cadet have a chance at my sqn if they want too

Anyone that has sod that they have never been nervous is either a fool or a liar.

Everyone gets nervous - it’s proof that you take serious what you’re doing and that you take pride in doing things well.

Confidence comes from practice and repetition.

Progress comes from learning from mistakes - but you have to make the mistakes to learn from them.

Everybody is simply waiting to be told what to do. The majority of those in the flight will know what is expected of them. Those that don’t, will be learning.

Don’t rush anything.
Use the time to control your breathing.
Imagine you are not ordering the flight - but instructing just one cadet.
In your mind, pick the one cadet within the flight that you know WILL listen to you and support you.
Rehearse in your head the command you’re going to give. The flight - will wait (assuming they’re not double timing towards a main road!), for your command.
Use the time to give the whole flight a quick glance.
Take a calm, deep breath. Give the command clearly, but firmly - to that one cadet who you’re thinking of.
Little steps -
Flight - attention, salute, right turn etc

Simple static commands.

Then simple moving commands - one step / two steps forward / back / dressing etc.

Then full motion drill - everyone WILL make errors - it’s human.

Consider writing a drill routine.

The flight will learn to expect the instruction - just as you will learn which foot to give it on.

The fact that you’re here asking for advice, tells all of us that you want to learn and be better.

Confidence will come.

If you’re nervous of hearing your own voice - depending on where you live / go to school / college - find somewhere away from everyone, perhaps a bit of a park or a spare class room during break / after school even your own bedroom and simply practice speaking loudly… NOT shouting. Never shout - that’s when your voice will let you down.

Start with the numbers 1 - 10
Then the alphabet
Then your home address
Then a nursery rhyme

You’ll realise that by speaking loudly, your breath doesn’t last as long - instead of getting an entire sentence out, you may only get a few words out - perfect for drill!

Gradually you’ll get used to hearing your own voice and the fear of hearing it will disappear.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

Thank you for that advice it helps a lot

1 Like