Have we formally become the RAF Air Cadets?

I still see references to Adult Sgt / Adult FS etc on social media… and in new documents on SharePoint

Why cant we use, Cdt Sgt for cadets and Sgt for adults? Simples

1 Like

Which is arguably exactly what we should be doing.

1 Like

CWO Briggs, do go and have a look at ACP20, Personnel Instruction 202 para 4. it may enlighten you. This section of the ACP was picked at random but it puts to bed the current title of the Commandant.

1 Like

I know what you have typed is correct

my point being- it isnt stated that way in ACP20

SNCOs are referred to as (ATC) not as RAFAC > this is an opportunity missed when rewritting VRT out why not include removing (ATC)?

1 Like

When I was a Cadet, I always wanted a crown on my beret badge, to signify our Royal Warrant. To have a Silver RAF Cap Badge across RAFAC would really show our links with the RAF. Then the CCF could be distinguished by their brazzards and conformity to the other CCF Cadet Services.

I am in the same position as Daws1159. I didn’t want the change to RAFAC, but as we are there now, we should all be RAFAC, Officers, SNCOs and Cadets

Who actually has the job of rewriting stuff like ACP20? Presumably it’s done in-house at HQAC?

Yup. It is "owned by SO3 PERS MAN, though I doubt they do the work personally.

No, all CCF(RAF) Cadets wear the silver RAF cap badge - almost right!

No, I don’t think that just the ATC should be branded as RAFAC - it is nice being a part of the one ‘family’ - otherwise it becomes even more ‘Us and Them’, which is already there (the ATC do not look kindly upon us CCF cadets).

Because of the CFC, all CCF Officers and NCO’s will eventually have the ‘Cadets’ thingy written on their slide, I think I am correct in saying - this beings uniformity to all Officer and NCO’s

But not to all!! The whole point of things being uniform!
You want to be all part of one family to stop the “them and us” but you don’t want us to wear the same beret badge!
The RAFAC thing has been foisted on us, we need to make the best out of this mess!

At one point I was in favour of there being a CCF(RAF) cap badge, as there is an ATC one and there was a CCF(RN) one. But the latter has now been dropped and CCF(RN) cadets are wearing the regular RN ORs badge; as this is also what the CCF(Army) wear, I now think we should stick as we are.

Whereas, the ATC cap badge is an important part of the the history (going right back to the Air League and the ADCC) and it would be foolish to bin it; just as foolish, actually, as losing all those school OTC cap badges in 1948. Some schools held out and have got away with it; mine didn’t, sadly.

Where was this regional communication about ensuring ATC units remain named as ATC not RAFAC?

Just had a wing Facebook page renamed from ‘Wing Name road marching team’ to Wing Name RAFAC road marching team’. The wing is still in the ATC last time I checked.

We have too many male birds in too many places.

2 Likes

So my MTP rank slides just arrived from Cadet Direct and I noticed on the cover of the enclosed catalogue there are 4 badges;

CCF, SCC, ACF, RAFAC

https://www.cadetdirect.com/cadet-direct-catalogue

No ATC crest to be found :disappointed:

I’m curious as to why Sqn are now saying they are xxx Sqn RAFAC. ATC Squadrons are still ATC Squadrons and CCF units are still CCF units, its just that the ACO branding has gone and its now RAFAC.

Sqn weren’t previously know as xxxSqn ACO!!

Mis-informed or mis-led?

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s the fact that ATC has been removed from any items of SNCO uniform, and replaced with RAFAC, that is helping confuse people?

1 Like

Putting RAFAC on the shoulders of Officers hasn’t helped either!!

because some media idiots sent out emails stating ALL further media releases, social media etc should say we are RAFAC…

Our wing media officer received it and then sent it out its only recently some people have realised what that actually means so the those at the top are having to go and say you are ATC not RAFAC…

they are starting to come through, we received ours at the squadron.
To be honest if I was going to something high profile and on TV
I would ensure my VRT pins were back on… WHY?

its not to do with VRT Vs RAFAC but that the RAFAC pins issued are so POOR
they look honestly horrendous as if they are melting the letters are no clear and the edging is at different thicknesses. the VRT pins on the other
hand look clear, crisp and smart (ie designed to be worn on a No1 uniform).

a good friend of mine knows some people who do make metal badges and he is enquiring
to find out costs for smarter ones where they are clear and crisp and to the same layout so
as not to upset the badge police but look much more like something you would wear with a uniform.

3 Likes