Have we formally become the RAF Air Cadets?

The ATC is a separate organisation to the CCF, so it is correct to use the term ATC where there are only ATC cadets present. If only CCF(RAF) cadets are present it is correct to use that term; if both are present it is now correct to use the term RAFAC as that is the umbrella which covers both formations.

I see no reason to feel left out if the term ATC is used if that is a true description of the formation present.

Putting it like that, I can see where you are coming from.

The comment I made about being ‘left out’ was more general situations. :joy:

TO be honest, if it were up to me, I’d just refer to everything as RAFAC - we can tell from the cap badge/brassard badges which branch they are from… but its not, so hey ho!

But if we are RAFAC we should wear the same beret badge as the RAF? How can we be RAF Air Cadets when the majority of the cadets in the organisation wear a totally different badge?

That is about the commission and Adult Staff, which is another post and a different can of worms!!
I am asking for proof for when CAC said we are the RAFAC not the ACO. I have been looking for ages and can’t find anything!

So another piecemeal fudge. All the staff across the ATC and CCF (RAF) will wear RAFAC, but the cadets will still be split into ATC and CCF with different badging? Can anyone explain the logic in this?

How about this:

It was, as you can tell, said by the CAC, which is what you wanted.

All the best

If only she allowed one to be key to an event rather than going RAFAC when she should go for either part!

So a reply to a tweet passed on one of the most important changes to our area!
So CAC being very Trump and telling us in less than 140 characters (or 280 now!)

[quote=“LeatherWorker, post:28, topic:3559, full:true”]So a reply to a tweet passed on one of the most important changes to our area!
So CAC being very Trump and telling us in less than 140 characters (or 280 now!)[/quote]
Welcome to the 21st Century. :rolleyes:
We could do away with governments etc and just do it via social media, just like Trump and CAC seem to be doing.

I think you need to get over it, if I’m honest.

This is one of the times the CAC has said it - I have seen it on a document, and I will keep trying to look for it.

Please stop trying to make life hard for people - its happened, its official, so get used to it. You seem to me, to be one of those people that take the view that ‘if it ain’t on paper, it ain’t real’…

All the best

That is the thing, it is. If it is not in AP 1919, ACP20, or any of the other manuals for the RAFAC then what ever the CAC said on twitter can be ignored.

On creation of this organisation royal warrant states the Air Training Corps, This has not been changed.

Given the state of the ACO - sorry RAFAC - I’d say we need a few more of those people writing policy, and a few less on social media inventing policy on a whim and in under 140 characters.

1 Like

In a move which will be of great benefit to the organisation in the promulgation of policy, twitter is raising its character limit to 280.

8 Likes

Only if they use proper letters and not fill it up with emoticons, emojis and grammatical inserts.

I’m not sure who started this first CAC or Donald Trump.

Trump or CAC, I rather wonder which is more divorced from the reality of the organisation’s they are paid to lead and manage…

It will become policy, only if the correct hashtag and emoji are used!

Would the hashtag be charliefoxtrot? :wink:

So, if CAC - sorry, CRAFAC - says we’re now RAFAC, why does the cap badge and brassard badge still say 'Air Training Corps?

Does she intend to change them?

I’ll look forward to an unwritten policy decision appearing on FB or twitter (or both if I’m lucky) in 280 characters or less.

To parallel our parent organisation for a moment’s discussion…

Reservists may find themselves RAFR or RAuxAF - But for the public facing brand they are simply “RAF Reserves”; or even just “RAF”.
It’s similar for us. We are still Squadrons of the ATC just as Auggies are still Squadrons of the RAuxAF but to maintain a cohesive and recognisable brand we are using the public facing term “RAF Air Cadets”.

If we are to look realistically at the situation, how many prospective cadets or parents will have been googling for “Air Training Corps” as opposed to those googling “Air Cadets” do we think?

Even when I joined back in the 90’s we were colloquially known as Air Cadets.

1 Like

After 75 + years we shouldn’t need a corporate brand. The RAF seems to be wanting to grab onto as many potential strands to its “RAF” brand ever since the RAF started shrinking like a puddle on a hot day. A number of RAFA members don’t like the RAF muscling in after years of keeping RAFA at arms length.

We have been known and referred to ourselves as Air Cadets since I joined in the 70s. I was and will always be a member of the Air Training Corps, but will still call ourselves Air Cadets, without the RAF prefix.

1 Like