Grob Tutor safety briefing video

Hi,

If anyone has a digital copy of the Grob Tutor safety briefing video I would be very grateful.

It doesn’t matter if it’s a slightly older version as it won’t be used for training - I would like to leave it playing on our flying and gliding ‘stand’ at our open evening, along with some other videos.

Many thanks

1 Like

Available here

The video should be a free permanent loan from the British Defence Films Library - but am I right that ATC sqns don’t have a UIN? If not then you might find it hard to order one…

1 Like

Not directly… Wing do though… and I’ve definitely seen that deployed for this purpose before! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i second that.

not on a Squadron i have attended but i know others who have recieved half a dozen videos from the BDFL they ordered deemed as “relevant”

If you’re serviced by 5 AEF showing this might falsely get people’s hopes up. :mad:

What do you mean? 5AEF have the video…

5AEF might have the video but they don’t fly cadets at the weekends :whistle:

For those wondering, there is a significant issue at Wittering - no radar for flying coverage at weekends. The requirement was listed in the original “Statement of Intent” prior to the move from Wyton, but still no news for when it will actually get there.

Folks.

I know the OP is after one of these just for a display but please be aware that even if your cadets have seen the video at your sqn before they fly they SHOULD see it when they arrive at their AEF. If they have attended the AEF for flying within the prior 7 days and have seen the DVD there is no need to show again unless they wish to watch it.

It should also be shown at Squadron level to all cadets during the first class training and also within 7 days prior to attending AEF

It should but it will more than likely be shown again when they attend the AEF.

Certainly 6AEF don’t trust us to have shown it - they always show it again.

I thought the problem at Wittering was that they had approached NATS to provide weekend radar coverage, and NATS had demanded payment?

In nigh on 40 years in the ATC, it has been shown every single time I’ve been to an AEF.
I think that just because squadrons will in all probability have the where withall to show it with the expectation they will, does seem somewhat pointless, allied to the fact everytime we’ve been in recent years cadets have to do the parachute drill which normally follows the video. It’s one of those things I feel where if you do it often (ie twice in 7 days) it loses its impact and sitting in a squadron where is the relevance. Show it at the AEF it has impact, relevance and context.

As for what’s happening at 5 AEF, regardless, it is a cock-up with massive implications for several thousand cadets, for which someone should have received a formal written or even a P45. However they have probably been promoted.

1 Like

There is a radar, just no one on the consoles.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=26056]
As for what’s happening at 5 AEF, regardless, it is a cock-up with massive implications for several thousand cadets, for which someone should have received a formal written or even a P45. However they have probably been promoted.[/quote]

Not really - it’s an unfortunate set of circumstances that have led to a particular situation. It’s a choice of limiting the ops of regular EFT or limiting the ops of the AEF. Post 2009 things are far more restrictive for the AEF, but sadly in the short term the EFT need is greater. It’s not 5 AEF’s fault and there was certainly nowt they could do about it - unless you can rustle up a few fully trained and ticketed ATC personnel.

[quote"…it’s an unfortunate set of circumstances that have led to a particular situation.[/quote]

This was a scheduled move with (at least?) 2 years of planning in the making. The Air Traffic requirement was listed in the original Statement of Intent. This was not an “oh, we have forgotten something” item.

So, when exactly did this “unfortunate set of circumstances” come to light? It seemed to have been a huge surprise after the move from Wyton to Wittering was instigated - a little forethought might have been useful. As such, AEF flying for those concerned has been curtailed. Add on the gliding debacle = no flying for a considerable period. A primary ACO activity for cadets is non-existent - & the ACTO, to all intents & purposes, prohibits other options.

I am aware that a previous Cmdt ACO let loose a tirade to the current Cmdt about the parlous state of affairs; I am very much on his side. Doesn’t seem to have achieved much though.

This was a scheduled move with (at least?) 2 years of planning in the making. The Air Traffic requirement was listed in the original Statement of Intent. This was not an “oh, we have forgotten something” item.

So, when exactly did this “unfortunate set of circumstances” come to light? It seemed to have been a huge surprise after the move from Wyton to Wittering was instigated - [/quote]

It was two years in the planning, but some parts of what have moved to Wittering weren’t originally moving there. :slight_smile:

So, when exactly did this “unfortunate set of circumstances” come to light? It seemed to have been a huge surprise after the move from Wyton to Wittering was instigated - [/quote]

It may have been two years in the planning to move the UASs (and another UAS), but some parts of what have moved to Wittering weren’t originally moving there and were forced by another work strand entirely. :slight_smile:

Given that UAS and AEF are (or seem to be) inextricably linked, which part(s) weren’t moving to Wittering; AEF? Air Traffic? Pilots?
Can you come to meet the parents of cadets who are not happy as their children aren’t getting in the air and doing the things promised when they joined in the last 3 years and see how far that line gets you.

Regardless of whether or not something else trumps weekend flying of cadets in the MoD bubble, without AEF and even with gliding the Corps is not meeting, IMO, its representation to the public. We use flying and flying training as main selling points; pictures of aircraft with smiling young people, smiling young people in flying garb, stories of cadets achieving scholarships and so on, especially gliding as an entry to flying and we are not doing it. I’ve done better in terms of recruiting with pictures of cadets flying/gliding in the local press. Our latest waiting list has 4 (it’s generally 10-12) and 3 of them are siblings. It’s a shame we don’t come under the remit of trading standards as at the moment they would probably have a field day. I only wish parents would complain via MPs and get questions in the house and or several to the relevant minister as they wouldn’t be subject to people hiding behind a rank as we are or be ‘cotton mouthed’ for being politcally active.

If the losing of 3000 cadets over the past couple of years has been attributed to problems with delivering our USPs, someone, somewhere is to blame and has to take the consequences. At squadron and wing level we are unable to affect change, due to a we know best and unless you’re in agreement with us we’re not interested attitude / mindset within senior management. They don’t understand we have customers and ‘shareholders’ in the shape of parents who pay for their children to be members.

I know we’re not, but in a business setting the failures we have experienced will have seen senior heads roll, probably with the opportunity to jump rather than get pushed, but they would go. Senior management in private business know that the people working for them have good ideas and or know when something they’ve implimented isn’t good and do listen and take action. The company I work for has had a suggestion scheme for decades and many have been taken up and criticism listened to. A few of these suggestions have been well rewarded.

Hope the rumour is true - that someone on high has directed that the radar consoles at Wittering are to be manned by next month - a bit late after the summer holidays though…