GPJ and NCOs

[quote=“the fixer” post=5774][quote=“merlin456” post=5773]I see your point. But please remember my background which you would have seen on the previous ACC. Do you not think this is justifiable enough?

Now, I hear some of you say “But your not in anymore, leave it behind you. Your now in the ACO”

So does that mean I should leave my medals behind? My qualifications? My experience? Mudguards, hat and boots are all part of my background… if it’s any consultation, I have stopped wearing the sash as I can see some arguments for it, and the boot to shoe conversion is a step, no?[/quote]

With regards to dress you should bring with you what the ACO in it’s dress regs says you can (Medals, mudguards etc) and leave the rest.You haven’t got a leg to stand on with regards to dress otherwise.

Ex regs have loads to offer but lose credibility with the “it’s in my background” arguement.[/quote]

Sorry but this really got to me what you seem to forget is a lot of this is earned with blood sweat and tears im damn proud of what I earned as are the rest we earn it its ours why shouldnt we display it?

Ladies and gents, this has got the potential to go a) off topic and/or b) person. Let’s not let either happen shall we.

[quote=“zinggy” post=5926][quote=“the fixer” post=5774][quote=“merlin456” post=5773]I see your point. But please remember my background which you would have seen on the previous ACC. Do you not think this is justifiable enough?

Now, I hear some of you say “But your not in anymore, leave it behind you. Your now in the ACO”

So does that mean I should leave my medals behind? My qualifications? My experience? Mudguards, hat and boots are all part of my background… if it’s any consultation, I have stopped wearing the sash as I can see some arguments for it, and the boot to shoe conversion is a step, no?[/quote]

With regards to dress you should bring with you what the ACO in it’s dress regs says you can (Medals, mudguards etc) and leave the rest.You haven’t got a leg to stand on with regards to dress otherwise.

Ex regs have loads to offer but lose credibility with the “it’s in my background” arguement.[/quote]

Sorry but this really got to me what you seem to forget is a lot of this is earned with blood sweat and tears im damn proud of what I earned as are the rest we earn it its ours why shouldnt we display it?[/quote]

Zinggy, I’ve forgotten nothing. I’m actually at pains to see what in my post has bothered you. I respect people’s previous service I’m all for Ex regs wearing their medals & authorised qualification badges such as Mudguards and Commando daggers.

What I’m against is when anybody knowingly wears unauthorised uniform. Using previous service as an excuse to wear it is unjustified and arrogant whether it gets to you, or not.

(Mods, if you feel this is too off topic then maybe a split is needed?)

Just to let everyone know I made a mistake earlier on in the topic.

I was meant to say the NCO’s buy GPJ’s at their own expense, they have NEVER been issued, sorry to confuse people

I’ve got to say I’m leaning towards the let them wear them side of this argument. They’re so widely available on the open market, if a cadet wants to wear one, let them, looks more uniform (as in the adjective not the noun) than wearing mixed dress and civvy jackets.

The argument that they get issued with Jeltex jackets so they don’t need GPJs doesn’t hold much water as we could all say the same thing.

And I also come down on the side that direct prohibition is different from an omission. The dress regs don’t say I need to wear underwear under my uniform. Does that mean I can’t? They do say quite specifically that we can’t wear MTP clothing. So that’s simple. That’s also not the same as the pink tutu argument, which is in essence reductio ad adsurdum. (Or the ACC version of Godwin’s Law.)

But it’s not omitted - it’s specifically listed with restrictions on its wear to officers and SNCOs/WOs (ATC).

It’s not that clear cut, in fact it says at one point they are issued to officers, when did that happen? I missed that!

But yeah, I take the point. Still, I think it’s a good case worth arguing that they could be optional for cadets as well.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=5980]It’s not that clear cut, in fact it says at one point they are issued to officers, when did that happen? I missed that!

But yeah, I take the point. Still, I think it’s a good case worth arguing that they could be optional for cadets as well.[/quote]I got one issued!

[quote=“the fixer” post=5943][quote=“zinggy” post=5926][quote=“the fixer” post=5774][quote=“merlin456” post=5773]I see your point. But please remember my background which you would have seen on the previous ACC. Do you not think this is justifiable enough?

Sorry but this really got to me what you seem to forget is a lot of this is earned with blood sweat and tears im damn proud of what I earned as are the rest we earn it its ours why shouldnt we display it?[/quote]

Zinggy, I’ve forgotten nothing. I’m actually at pains to see what in my post has bothered you. I respect people’s previous service I’m all for Ex regs wearing their medals & authorised qualification badges such as Mudguards and Commando daggers.

What I’m against is when anybody knowingly wears unauthorised uniform. Using previous service as an excuse to wear it is unjustified and arrogant whether it gets to you, or not.

(Mods, if you feel this is too off topic then maybe a split is needed?)[/quote]

sorry my fault I Didnt read your post properly after a long shift again sorry!!

I got one issued too; others have bought them

Yes, they could be optional for cadets, but they aren’t!

I got one issued too; others have bought them

Yes, they could be optional for cadets, but they aren’t![/quote]

Well I feel robbed. Can’t complain too much, did get a nice Goretex and a pair of combat boots. (I got the Goretex as my issue sheet didn’t include any foul weather wear at all. So I asked the Cpl what do I wear if it gets cold :frowning: )

^^

Take a large man up pill once a day or as required :wink: