Gorge Walking or Ghyll Scrambling in ACP300

I see that ACP300 has changed to only allow AALA centres to provide Gorge Walking or Ghyll Scrambling.

Am I reading this correctly and this prohibits a suitably qualified CFAV to deliver sessions? (external to NACATC)

Cheers

Certainly seems that way. I’d imagine you could count the CFAVs authorised to do it on one hand though so it’s a fairly niche case.

1 Like

Without sounding too morbid, there are a number of additional risks with Ghyll Scrambling, and I’d guess C2 AT (and higher) would try and mitigate those risks by outsourcing all activity to centres which are based in the area, and know the risks of each individual location because their instructors regularly use them, rather than people who have the ticket but may not know the individual features of each site.

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/search-judgments/judgment?id=fb3786a6-8980-69d2-b500-ff0000d74aa7

Admittedly, that wasn’t technically Gorge Walking, and shows that there are risks when using Activity Centres too. I’m sure there’s been a death in the Lake District too. @redowling might be able to remember…

Accidents happen regardless, but using a centre with experienced staff who know the area and have access to any kit needed the risks can be better mitigated. Although it incurs a cost, is far better from an organisation like ours perspective. As long as you tick the ATC’s boxes, using centres takes the pressure off our staff. I think we are suffering from a historic position of activities not being available commercially, so we had to be self reliant with staff becoming qualified for things like climbing and water sports. But this hasn’t been the case for years. We’ve used activity providers at home and when on activities further away for a number years, as they offer convenience, reduces the amount of stuff you have have and or take and you don’t have to rely on qualified staff availability.

Comments like there has been incidents using a provider and citing them is nonsensical, as you can have an incident anywhere doing innocuous things.