Goodbye Colerne

Well not only is it goodbye Henlow but also Colerne.
Now Azimghur Barracks and Colerne Airfield they are both to be sold for housing. Sadly this will ruin the lovely village but that’s progress.

It will also sadly leave 3 AEF looking for a new home and 93 (Colerne) Detached Flight with an uncertain future! Pity the DF is going strong with 21 cadets and Climbing.

If they can source a location for the DF while construction happens it could be the making of it. Lots of people moving in etc,

I don’t think we can get too sentimental about places. What do we need land left to become derelict or something useful to society.

The MOD has probably held onto many of these places for longer than they should have and have to reduce their holding. It seems from what has been happening locally if a single cadet unit ‘needs’ a new build or leases come up for renewal, they end up with a joint premises with ACF/ATC.

As for the DF happy days I would have thought. We’ve got quite lot of new estates one in the middle of building and two others waiting to go, which will mean c.600 or so new houses. Not saying you’d get loads but another 10-15 cadets would keep the bean counters happy.

Yeah I hadn’t thought about it like that.
But I am sad to see the base go.
Still it’s got another 5 years maybe.

And in that 5 years they’ll spend millions doing it up, building new facilities etc only for it all to come under the wrecking ball. The MOD know how to spend money unwisely.

It always used to be that if a runway was re-surfaced, the airfield was doomed. Hmmm, what has just happened recently to Waddo…? :open_mouth:

The Air field in Colerne is closing in 2019 but the Camp is closing in 2027. As the DF is on the camp not the Air Field should not effect us for a while.

When RAF Brampton was closed, the Sqn located there moved into the then Rockape building from their previous accomodation and that was fenced off from the ensuing development work for good as a stand alone ATC enclave. When RAF Cardington closed the Sqn there had a new HQ built for them by the housing developer as part of the deal planning approval conditions. With luck, one of these options will happen for you, as you say though there is plenty of time to sort things out. Good luck!