Gliding "paused"

Simple…cost…!

Which question is that the answer to?

The plans were to refurb/re engine!

FYI @GrandMaster_Flush take a look at the link for more information

specifically pages 12-17

interestingly those of us discussing using BGA sites take a look at para 25 of the link (page 10)

Discussions have taken place in the past with the BGA the findings were the BGA does not have the capacity to meet the launch and flying hour’s requirements of our GIC and our GS.
In addition is was recorded that there would challenges regarding accreditation of gliding schools and on-going oversight requirement of commercial gliding organisation, accommodation and duty of care supervision of minors…As a result the review believes that there may be some scope for working more closely with BGA associated gliding schools in a limited context [ I guess this is the few (6?) BGA sites that 2FTS was happy to approve?]
A lack of overnight accommodation will probably preclude delivery of GS courses at BGA airfields, however delivery of GIC flying appears to be a realistic option in areas where gliding is currently difficult to provide. or where ideal facilities exist for advance glider training.
The BGA has provided an indicative cost of £50 for an 8 winch launch GIC option and has offered to run a trial at two approved locations should the ACO decide to explore the option further.
[key message time]
The review team has confirmed that the BGA has neither the capacity nor the appetite to link formally with the ACO to deliver all or significant part of the ACO gliding output.

1 Like

Having just looked back at the 2008 Strategy document wich took up to 2018, one of the key reasons for setting up our RAC’s was supposed to be as a option for cadets who’s flying was cancelled. . . did this ever really happen?

Regional Activity Centres (RAC)

The RACs provide a single location which combines guaranteed cadet accommodation with on-site access to a wide range of fun and challenging activities. The activities include Flying, Aerospace Centres, Military Skills Training, Adventure Training, Shooting, Simulators, e-Learning, Field-craft and Leadership Exercises. The benefits of RACs are:

:diamonds: Maximise involvement in fun activities for cadets in a single visit, either at weekends or school holidays.

:diamonds: Eliminate airfield waiting time and wasted journeys often associated with travel to single activity events e.g. long road journeys to flying activities that are cancelled due to poor weather.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/ACO%20Document%20Library/Strategy/Strategic%20Plans/20080319-StratPlan-u-SO1Coord-c2-1.pdf&action=default

yes and is discussed in this thread in a bit of detail

to offer my experience.

the two closest RACs to us (almost equidistant) have AEF or had VGS gliding but are not our closest flying and gliding locations

So although they offer contingency or concurrent activities to flying/gliding these would be at sites we’re not eligible to fly/glide from!

ahhh, cheers. So we didn’t quite manage this then!

It would be a bit much to expect that AEFs and VGS each had a RAC, regardless of how sensible it may have been.

I did two RAC weekends in my time in the corps.The accommodation was a bit rough and ready but serviceable and the cadets themselves absolutely loved the whole experience.Especially as for most of them it was their first experience of doing an activity where they were away from home for more than a few hours.Saw a fair few go on and do overseas and UK blues camps.It really wets their appetite.

Did it rain??

[Whets] :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Ha ha thought someone would spot that.Typed it /sent it and by then it was too late.Time for 100 lines.

1 Like

Tsk, tsk, take 200 lines for knowing the error but not correcting it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Try the little pencil symbol at the bottom right of your own posts…

2 Likes

You have actually got to laugh have just received an email regarding the recommencement of gliding, if we are doing anything to the press or social media then we aren’t to mention or reference the pause…

So much for a bit of integrity…

2 Likes

Who from? Wing level or above? I’ve certainly not had anything…

Scotland and northern Ireland region sent that notification this afternoon. They have had press covering the gliding relaunch at Kirknewton

Not a nationwide campaign then!:roll_eyes:

Apparently not - I guess you are free to mention the fleets groundings in your media output if you are outwith S&NI Region.

Why waste a good headline for the truth??

cadets were at kirknewton for a flight 2/3 years ago with all the press there a Minister of stupidity to
See the PTT as well and then to see them getting their blue wings. Then as soon as it was done the gliders were removed.

It was the same headlines then too.

Yes I am glad that there is cadets starting to glide once again but until We get gliding every weekend for a sustained period of time (weather problems accepted) then we can all be happy we are moving in the correct direction until then let’s not get carried away

2 Likes

so looking at this again (i know i’ve dug this one out) it seems the BGA will have insurance for such a person.

and i should correct myself

why i didn’t think to look at my own aircraft insurance at the time i don’t know. but start of the year, and a start of what needs looking at which includes the insurance renewals i flicked through my policy and found the following…

so it would seem i have insurance in place to the value of £100k for a vehicle i operate operate or own.

it therefore follows I could have a 14 yr old drive my car and be covered as it doesn’t stipulate only the piloted named in my policy

now to answer the question how does this apply to the VGS?
well VGS is MOD and the MOD does not have motor insurance and I would guess no aviation insurance either using the same indemnity insurance as is applied to motor insurance.

so it becomes a “grey” area - a 14 yr old Cadet flying solo (ok so it wouldn’t happen as VGS only solo 16+ yrs cadets) would be covered by the MOD for flying as an “approved pilot” to use the insurance wording.

applying that same policy to airside driving that would be the call of the VGS on who was an approved driver - being an MT vehicle that is likely to be those who have a valid FMT600.
so no the VGS would not allow it

Absolutely.
It seems the message is say gliding’s up and running and then deal with the disappointment 6 months down the line when cadets still haven’t had a sniff. I’ve mentioned the pause to anyone who’s asked about gliding, including MPs and Councillors so the cat’s well and truly out of the bag.
Did Alastair Campbell have a hand in the don’t say anything about “the pause” as it sounds for all the world like Bliar trying to disown the past in 1997.

2 Likes