Gliding medical form?

I recall back when I was a cadet we had to fill in a medical form before being able to attend the VGS.

I notice no such form was required to go to an AEF.

I recall having to get a doctor sign off before going.

Why was there a need for this for one, and not the other?

Sounds like a mistake was made somewhere. The AV Med Form should be required for all flying AFAIK.

1 Like

Medical forms are required for both flying and gliding.

Are you referring to the medical declaration that you are fit for the gliding scholarships?

1 Like

I can’t really answer your original question, but things have changed now. Both require the same level of paperwork.
In the first instance the cadet should provide an AV Med form, and where necessary, a F6424 from a doctor.

The F264 rings a bell

Both have always required the same paperwork. You need an AvMed1 for every cadet. If they select certain options on the AvMed then they also need a F6424 (which is the same as for a GS and needs doctors sign off).
You also need to have a form 005 for gliding or a form 012 for AEF signed by the sqn or CCF OC (you’ve always needed these but the way the flight the authorisation is now done means that the AEF or VGS have to take a copy and if you don’t bring it cadets will not fly anymore).

Not true if you roll back the years to when the OP was a cadet.

You would need a 6424 to apply for a gliding scholarship, but “back in the day” no paperwork was needed for a general AEF or GIC visit.

3 Likes

How I miss those days. You even got the manifest paperwork sent to you. Yellow or green depending on flying or gliding.

2 Likes

Not so.

There was briefly a VGS only version of what we now call the AV MED FORM 1 although in no way as detailed or thorough.

I too recall why the VGS requested such a form but not the AEFs particularly as our VGS was Vigilant so both powered forms of flight.
I never understood it…

And yes, this was for GIC slots before someone asks/corrects me.
I think it was a knee jerk reaction to a situation. I seem to recall someone attended a VGS with an arm in plaster and so a very basic questionnaire was the solution.

Note that a RAF Form 6424 must be pre-authorised by your WHQ, otherwise the doctor will not be able to claim the fee.
Therefore do NOT download the form from SharePoint and issue it to a cadet, but rather ask your WHQ to send you one that has been stamped and signed by them.

1 Like

Back then I recall having to have this form filled in for any gliding activity from GICs to gliding scholarships.

I never applied for a gliding scholarship but did a GIC on both the Viking and the vigilant.

I think I only actually went gliding those 2 times in my 4 1/2 years as a cadet.

While there was some parental permission and another form related to going to the AEF, I recall the F2464 appeared to relate only to gliding.

All accounts are from a period of over 10 years and do not relate to the present time.

For the F6424, you would have to be given a form to take to a doctor and would have received part of that form back as a medical certificate. The only time we used to do this was for a gliding scholarship.
It is used now for any flying if a further medical is required. The AvMed form shows when that is. You would maybe have filled in a TG form or whatever the equivalent was 10 years ago. This would have been the same form used for any off squadron activity. Up until the introduction of the AvMed form, we didn’t have to provide any documentation other than 3822s and a manifest for either flying or gliding.
Sadly, the process has become more complicated.
I am confused as to why you would have had a medical from a doctor for initial gliding unless you had a condition that required a sign off. It’s all a long time ago so probably best understanding the processes that we are using now. Don’t worry about things that you have done as a cadet as forms and processes change. Get stuck in on a squadron and I’m sure they will show you the wonderful world of admin in due course!

2 Likes