Gender Neutral Sir/Ma'am

According to the “leadership testing” that work did on me I’m a combination or Blue and Red, my Red side is very much happy sending emails that start “All”

(at risk of going off-topic…) The simplified Myers Brigg testing?

If the same one, I’m about 95% Blue…

Someone made the suggestion of using ‘Sir’ for all commissioned staff regardless of gender. Logically should it not be ‘Ma’am’ for all given their status is devolved from The Queen?

Another point - It’s common practice for a group of cadets to be brought to ‘attention’ when they’re sat in a room by the senior cadet present calling ‘ladies and gents’ - that will need a rethink.

Not heard that one…only ever “room 'shun” to which occupants sit forward, upright and straight with braced arms on their knees

1 Like

I’ve heard room shun, or simply a call of “sit up”. Never heard the ladies and gents option.

I have, it doesn’t really work because it’s too long as a command word. So the person using it usually does it so quick it’s hard to tell those were the original words

Works fine here… (‘Gentlemen!’). Guess we may have to modify that at some point but it’s not arisen yet.

When I heard it, they tried to cram the whole ‘ladies and gents’ into an executive command. It just sounded stupid.

We always just said ‘Room’ as an executive. Simples.

2 Likes

That’s me stuffed then. Always start will all if its more than 3 people.

2 Likes

Never heard that used - how can a room be bought to attention it’s inanimate :wink:

We had a phase of people starting emails with “Sirs, Ma’ams, Ladies & Gents et al”

If it’s group email I will use Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening All.

I know some who sent emails at past 2200 with Good Morning, on the assumption that it won’t be read until the morning, but that tends to hurt my head when I look at the sent time!

Have you met some of our cadets?

3 Likes

How can the Palace of Westminster run a country?

We’re straying a little now…

Just start emails with “WASSSSSSSUUUUPPP!:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face::yum:

Done.

5 Likes

Erm, I do that… :flushed:

Been there. Done that. Got put on a Defence Writing course as a result.

Still didn’t cure me.

2 Likes

I’m northern, a simple “How do,” will suffice.

1 Like

I got an email off a Cumbrian recently which started

Now then ccw34,

I did ask him if lockdown had finally got to him, but apparently he starts most emails like that!

1 Like

Fellow human beings works for me.

2 Likes

If I had an email start like that I’d be dreading what came next :rofl:

1 Like