Fullbore Commonwealth Games Coverage

Surprisingly someone has got their act together to make up for the fact that the BBC has been quite poor in showing the shooting in their coverage this year.
https://www.facebook.com/cwg2014shooting

Lots of photos and mini interviews are actually making it quite fun & interesting!

From an RAF side we have Wng Cdr Dave Calvert shooting for N. Ireland (as well as a couple of ACO bods helping in the background too!!

One of the Range Officers is a member of the RAFTRC. :wink:

And yes, the BBC coverage of the full-bore rifle shooting has been abysmal!

There was some double trap shotgun shown earlier on BBC today, & a brief mention very late last night about the England pairs (Luckman & Patel) pairs win.

Wg Cdr Calvert (RAF Retd) is now Fg Off Calvert, RAFVR(T), so yet another ACO person representing their Country.

DC came 4th, Eng 1st & 3rd:

Amazing 74.4 from Luckman on the ICFRA target = smaller scoring dimensions than the “standard” BIsley target.

It was all won (& lost) at 1000x:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jQRkqz6q6PpSozbXCDZGREDaCts9PZk9bKD3Dw0sW_w/pubhtml#

And gold for Dan Rivers (Eng) in the 50m 3P .22 competition!!

I think the wind coach describing the wing bracket in the interview this morning said it was about 8 minutes coming in at 7o’clock and fishtailing all over the place. Very very tricky conditions and certainly interesting watching the shot by shot live-update.

Along with a cracking post-match interview with the Silver medalist from Canada its been fantastic coverage - and given me a lot of ideas of how to push my squadron/wing social media to make it more interactive (wing training day live update anyone?) .

Certainly next ISCRM or even CISSAM, it would be great to do something similar to push shooting out to the wider Corps (especially inter-services)

Regardless, Well done Mr Calvert, Congratulations Mr Luckman and well done to all the ACO personnel involved :cheer:

Yep, super coverage from the informal source - & very well set up too.

One of the Welsh firers got blown around a lot - but same detail, 4 targets away, Luckman made few wind changes - maybe shooting at the right time for the flags, or, just matching his name! :wink:

[size=2](Had a similar experience at the Imperial Meeting in the Corporation match (1000x) some years ago - in between 2 GB shots, my wind plot was 1.5 mins wide, theirs was about 6!)[/size]

For those who haven’t shot at one, the ICFRA 1000x target:

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=19977]Yep, super coverage from the informal source - & very well set up too.

One of the Welsh firers got blown around a lot - but same detail, 4 targets away, Luckman made few wind changes - maybe shooting at the right time for the flags, or, just matching his name! :wink:
[/quote]

Certainly a bit of both! From what Luckman was saying is that he’s always been a quick shooter and the wind forced him to be quicker so there was little lag time between him setting the wind and taking the shot. I didn’t see his plot but Grenfell from Australia (who was leading in Gold going into the match) hit a 2 then seamed to fall a part from there so very nasty wind.

Was glad they got the chair up from Bisley for the medal ceremony though :slight_smile: