Foundation Licence

Morning all!
I’m currently on a course for the foundation licence outside of cadets. If I pass the exam, will the licence be the equivalent of any badge in cadets?
Thanks very much!

Currently, I’m afraid not.

Good for you - it will help you to sail through some comms badge modules and your VHF operator.

You will have a good knowledge of HF propogation too.

What you do need to remember is that Military Comms has different objectives to the amateur side. Basically, establish comms, send the message, get the reply and clear the frequency. As quickly and efficiently as possible, taking into account the best frequency, commsec and opsec. (Perhaps commsec and opsec should have been first on the list)

The thing to concentrate on most is your radio procedure - easily picked up from the relevant ATC ACP. If you feel really enthusiastic you might find the NATO ACP 125 (Communication Instructions - Radio Telephone Procedures) (It is Unclassified) somewhere on the internet.

My experience so far, is that at most squadrons the comms badge is the hardest on to get.

“73” MFL

The RSGB Foundation licence counts as one of the modules you will need towards the Air Cadet communicator licence.

Find out who your Wing Radio officer is and have a chat with him about your best way forward.

Got your comms badge…
Apply for a foundation licence!

http://www.rsgb.org/clubsandtraining/cadets/

Do you need the comms badge or to have done the operators course as stuff like HF listener seems above the foundation license? As it asks for the ACO Foundation Equivalent Radio Communications

Thanks all for your replies, have started the course in cadets now, ironic timing!

[quote=“mike-foxtrot-lima” post=4429]Got your comms badge…
Apply for a foundation licence!

http://www.rsgb.org/clubsandtraining/cadets/[/quote]

Not strictly true, you do not need your comms badge to apply for this, what you do need however is to have completed the Air Cadet Foundation Course which is a module available for the Communicator badge.

It replaces the need to carry out RSGB’s course and is Free to cadets instead of paying the £30 + to RSGB.

Thanks for the update.
Is there a reference that I can follow up?
Possibly new ACP44 (we must have it somewhere)

You will need to obtain the New ACP 46, and be in contact with your Wing Radio officer. The Examination is produced by HQAC via the Corps Radio Officer.

Upon completing the course successfuly your details need to be passed to OFCOM to verify and RSGB. This course of action is currently limited to obtaining Foundation. the offer RSGB licences currently need to be obtained via RSGB directly.

The Corps Radio Team have put a lot of work into getting this privelage, so please lets get it done correctly.

And do yourself and the cadets a favour by getting rid of the old ACP 44, & 45. the new ones should be available on Bader, ultilearn or from the WRO.

Hey, I’ve never come across ACP 46, everyone I know who has done Radio Comms uses/used ACP 44. What is this new ACP 46? I don’t even believe it exists as it is unmentioned in ACP 8 (ACP directory).
Help.

Hi
With regards to ACP 46 yes it is out there along with ACP 45 both are available to down load.
Regards Dave

[quote=“Henry” post=22007]Hey, I’ve never come across ACP 46, everyone I know who has done Radio Comms uses/used ACP 44. What is this new ACP 46? I don’t even believe it exists as it is unmentioned in ACP 8 (ACP directory).
Help.[/quote]

ACP8 is a phone/contact book, not a list of publications. ACP0 is a list of publications and 44, 45 and 46 are listed therein.

The original old ACP44 (dated 2000, which was a replacement for ACP34 vol 2) was split into ACP44, 45 and 46 about 2½ years ago

44 is the syllabus, instructions and exercises
45 is the RT procedures
46 is the ham radio foundation equivalent handbook