Former SCC staff convicted of abuse

A rather disturbing report on the BBC News this morning which highlights the devastating impact of a tiny minority within youth organisations.

It is disturbing although it is non recent happening in the 1990s rather than now with all our checks & training.

One good comment from the article

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure in 30 years weā€™ll be having similar things coming to light referring back to ā€˜the 2020sā€™. Sadly these people are attracted to organisations like ours, and thereā€™s only so much that can be done.

Being observant and fostering an environment where people know they can speak up if something happens to them is really important to getting rid of these kind of people. Sadly I think we often are still lacking on that second bit.

3 Likes

Anybody watch the ITV documentary last week regarding abuse at British Gymnastics following the Whyte Report?

3 Likes

This is really upsetting.

Its unfortunate however that people are getting away with these things, not just in our cities, but our organisations aswell. I hope that the people affected by these cases are doing okay and are making recoveries.
I think as an organisation we should perhaps put in some more background checks, but im aware that its futile if said person hasnt had any records.
I hope that organisations including ours can better ourselves, and create safe environments for people to defend themselves and speak out as already said by @JoeBloggs.

1 Like

Anyone else thinking back this?

we could easily tie ourselves in knots trying to get people but that wouldnā€™t really make much difference.

Itā€™s the internal security & awareness & willingness to flag that will help prevent these sort of issues.

It doesnā€™t even have to be the cadets who are at risk but could even like the 50year old married WO officer who preys on the newly commission pretty pilot officer (& then blames the officer as they are the higher rank). Itā€™s the on going training & reviews that will minimise the nasties & I think currently we have the right balance.

It is a lot better now & having a fully civilian safeguarding team at HQ which everything is meant to go directly to is a massive step in the right direction.

5 Likes

I was thinking that & if memory served it was the SCC who came off worse.

However speaking to a friend in the sea cadets is that often if the try to sack a volunteer over an allegation they get threatened with legal action for defamation.

The ATC & ACF due to their funding have lawyers on call so call the persons bluff but the SCC (& similarly scouting) have less resources so rather than expelling they can only allow someone to leave & do a referral.

2 Likes

Unless this was posted elsewhere, Iā€™m surprised this one has not appeared on ACC, a recent one, and air cadets appear to be some of the victims.

A few ā€œpromoted out of positionā€ scenarios by my recollectionā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve discussed the materials of AVIP and our safeguarding hubs and flowcharts with my spouse, who is a current childrenā€™s social worker - and explained the various reporting procedures we have as an organisation. Many, I am told, are not fit for purpose and look designed to keep issues in-house. The advice should always be if in doubt report to social services/the police - but we are obsessed with our own safeguarding leads and process.

The organisation generally tries to handle too much; and gets involved with items which are best left to parents, schools and professional authorities to handleā€¦ rather than volunteer safeguarding leads.

So there are probably lots of things that get missed, or are handled badlyā€¦

2 Likes

Same as has happened in British Gymnastics. The documentary showed that the police and social services should have been involved from the start,

1 Like

Letā€™s be clear, HQ have made it explicitly clear that any accusations that would amount to a crime must be referred directly to the police before any RAFAC CFAV or staff member getā€™s too involved.

I donā€™t agree with some of the way our Safeguarding stuff is managed, but there is no one trying to keep things ā€˜in houseā€™. If you see people doing that, report it to HQ. They are pretty serious about this.

Only after the police/social services have finished will HQ begin their own internal investigation.

4 Likes

Christ, Iā€™ve been shooting with him. :rage:

I remember hearing about the hidden camera, but had no idea he was arrested for it!

1 Like

This is truly shockingā€¦
As a cadet who is under 18 and doesnt usually look on the news, every once in a while ill scan through. Cases like this are a reminder that this can happen to anyone. I hope those children and cadets affected are doing alright. As to what @Chief_Tech mentioned about the internal information gethering, i find that very sweet and responsible of those cadets and they should be extremely proud of themselves for everyone on the sqn doing their part. Its nice to hear.

3 Likes

Easy to say, less easy to make happen, like all
crime and neglect, not enough staff dealing with too many cases.

I donā€™t know how recent your experience is, but there is a big push away from WCPOs and WExOs dealing with things, and more centralisation. The reporting of safeguarding concerns is direct to HQ, who usually - assuming itā€™s not an issue that needs dealt with immediately - liaise with external agencies. It also reduces the dependency on volunteers to deal with casework which is both above their capabilities and time consuming.

Itā€™s coming with its own problems though.

Is this down to people being concerned with ā€˜reputationalā€™ issues, same as the NHS?

I can think of a recent example where an individual (RAFAC permanent staff) was convicted of offences against children not part of RAFAC, and there was not enough information provided to RAFAC units heā€™d interacted with. I believe those where he worked regularly were made aware but not those who (e.g.) had been on camp with him. I personally felt we should have had internal comms more widely and I do worry that reputational fears prevented that.

1 Like