Form for free OS maps

I know we are/were eligible to order OS maps at no cost, as someone I know did it a few years ago. Unfortunately they can’t remember the form reference and I can’t find anything on Sharepoint.

Would be grateful of any pointers, thanks a lot.

I just email my E1 and say can I have X number of Sheet number XXX and she sorts it, I believe you can only get 1:50,000.

Does anyone know if this is still available and if so, how to obtain them if it’s changed?

I would think an email to the WATTO would be the first call.

Tried both the WATTO and DofE officer and sadly neither have any knowledge of this :pensive:

You can get training area maps as they have NSNs, they come in 1:25000.

Also, Bing provides free OS. As do many Local Authorities if you look on their maps of the wards etc.

https://maps.bristol.gov.uk/pinpoint/

This resource covers a lot of the SW and is epic.

1 Like

It is possible. Your WExO or E1 can access the web portal for the Defence Geographic Centre (or whatever it’s called now) where they can order 1:50k mapping of the UK (usually with air overlays).

There isn’t a form - they just need to get on MODNET and find the Defence
Geographic centre’s web portal.

Also an eDofE account provides access to full 1:50k and 1:25k OS mapping for the whole of the UK via the OS Maps web portal, which you can print as required.

Edit if it helps, on the old DIIF it was called the MOD Catalogue of Geographic Products. There an integral form you fill in, order against the Wing UIN and happy days they get posted out to you.

Edit Again Seems it’s still on the old infrastructure. PM me and I can sort you out with the appropriate web address (you won’t be able to access unless on MODNET, but you could send it to your perm

2 Likes

Do all units not still have access to Quo?

They might do, but I bet no-one has updated the maps for years so they’ll be well out of date.

Did not know this, thanks!

Thanks, i’ll pass it on.

It might be worth checking if HQAC are still paying for the licences, in which case all most units would need is a resend of the login details, download the update and boom.

We still use it and it’s upto date, but the Squadron bought 1:25,000 licences on top of HQAC’s provision, so that doesn’t tell me what we are still getting for free.

That’s it… nothing will happen here then :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Why cant Sqns order direct against stores for C class stores etc anymore

Edit… did some twozzock order a million things for Ebay or something?

All units will need to update with the new email addresses eventually… Could be a good opportunity to rejuvenate that relationship.

(But I’m sticking with ViewRanger)

It was only ever a one off purchase if remember correctly.

I like View Ranger too. I just wish they’d get sorted so that we can print maps to scale. Three years ago they told me it was “imminent”.

I just pay for my own OSMaps account. There’s a bit more functionality than in the free version you get through eDofE and personally I use it enough to justify the cost.

Ditto.

Worth CCFs looking at Digimaps for Schools, too - doesn’t appear to cover cadet units. That’s what we use.

I like the eDofE the only drawback is being limited in even as A3 and no key, but I’ve printed the 1:5000 ones. I do find it keeps cadets quiet for ages as they plot routes on eDofE. What I also like is it doesn’t become a major exercise in origami, as it’s one day to one map, which fit nicely in the wallets we use as map cases.
The problem we found with ordering free maps is the ages of them, being at least 1 or 2 revisions behind what you could buy in the shops. All well and good in ‘wild country’ (unless someone’s blasted a new quarry) but so when you are in more general lowland areas not so, as things are more likely to change. I ordered some for our local area training 2 or 3 years ago and when I looked at them things that had been here for at least 9 years; 3 roads and a housing estate were missing, as the map was 10 years old, the same age as the ones I wanted to replace. So if you do go down the free maps from the MoD route caveat emptor.