'Flying Operations' Syllabus

There are no presentations for the new Flying Operations. It’s made using the same software as, for example, the fieldcraft instructor refresher training and the new air power package.

It’s designed to be self-led but whether that will be permitted is a matter of policy that I can’t comment on. It can equally be used by an instructor in a classroom or online.

The content is largely the same but it has been updated to make it more relevant to modern day. Eg a little less about V Bomber Operational Readiness Platforms, and a little more about EMAS. It also exploits technology to make it more interesting and interactive.

It’s not a monumental shift but I’d suggest a much needed refresh.

I hope you get to see it one day.

The PTT should still be available to you.

Or visit a local squadron that can help…

It’s still better than driving miles to the local AGS as local squadrons can collaborate and share skills.

2 Likes

We’ve been briefed that it can be done on a tablet.

However as the syllabus / lesson plans aren’t out yet that could be wrong or might have changed.

That time you expected briefing and reality to allign!

2 Likes

There’s a staff “how to” guide that’s been available for a couple of months. Shared in our Wing by the Regional Aviation officer.

One sec, I’ll figure out how to upload

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day

1 Like

Thanks I can’t see it in the How To guide of the training portal.

Can’t upload here, so to avoid doing anything else that will give away my secret identity, I’ll do it the old fashioned way:

Definitely states minimum equipment needed is a computer and controls.

Boggles the mind that we can still be this poor at communications. This was sent to us in September…

2 Likes

Thanks. Not seen that, asked our AvO for info a while back, they said they had seen nothing (which could be the case).

At least it can be done with just a joystick.

2 Likes

What constitutes ‘suitably qualified’ here - what if there’s no one that has knowledge of flying on the sqn?

It also seems to contradict the idea earlier that cadets can self serve this training.

In our Wing the AvO just comes over to the unit to see if you’re capable of and are delivering the lesson as per the guide, and then signs you off. The staff member delivering doesn’t need any prior qualification or experience, they just need to know how to use the flight sim. I think it can also be a cadet who’s able to deliver it.

I don’t think it’s ever been intended to be completely cadet self service.

if the individual does have a qualification or experience, such as a PPL are they signed off automatically? Or is it a “case by case” basis at the WAvO discretion?

In our Wing, no, because while they know you know how to fly, they’re also assessing that you have the flight sim that can do the right things, that you can use it correctly, and that you use the correct terminology. Assessing that bit is fair enough, imo.

It does mean it’s likely to be easier for you to deliver a good lesson, though.

Our region are very clear on this:

Train the trainers MUST go on a T3 course - it takes a day.

ONLY these trainers can train other staff or staff cadets to deliver the course.

ONLY staff or staff cadets signed off by one of the T3 trainers are given access to the materials and will be allowed to deliver and sign off cadet training.

==

I think it’s rubbish, but that’s what I’m having to enforce in the wing. I’m making a long list of complaints (and it is a long list!) to feed back up.

We’re in a situation where CFAV 1 with no flying experience but has managed to go on a course so they can teach CFAV 2, a qualified flying instructor, how to deliver a very basic effects of controls lesson.

Utter madness.

But here we are.

3 Likes

Sit patiently, and there should be some news shortly…

2 Likes

Nope ex BA Captain and CFI of a market leading commercial flying school with 10k hours had to go on the course

1 Like
  1. Any member of staff or MOI cadet can teach the new Flying Ops subject.
  2. Squadron flight sims have to be approved by WAvnO.
  3. Only staff or staff cadets that have been taught and assessed on the synthetic training can teach the flight sim sortie.

Part 3 was a concession to 2FTS to persuade them to let go of the synthetic training (PTT). They were/are particularly keen on the training and assessment to ensure the same terminology and sortie profile is used across the corps.
You cannot waffle or deviate from the ‘cheat sheet’ when teaching the sim sortie.

If only they put as much effort in to flying cadets as they did with creating unnecessary drama, we’d be in a much better place

12 Likes

The flying ops is now live, and there is an announcement on Sharepoint.

Link to Flying Ops for those who struggle with Sharepoint.

5 Likes