'Flying Operations' Syllabus

Well i would seem that cadets getting a meaningful flying experience is no closer.

1 Like

Will it mean more cadets go flying…No
Will they get a meaningful flying experience…No
Will there still be the 6 airborne sorties for (the keener) cadets to work through…No

Will there be more cadets wearing wings, sorry ATP badge…Yes

I can only imagine that this is what HQAC is after, an appearance of more cadets flying, while the reverse is happening.

2 Likes

We’re getting the TEST SNCO to come and clear us

All Regions can deliver this; WAvnOs should know; if not, try the RAvnO.

As @Farmerdan says, most TEST SNCOs can also deliver.

Cadets who have previously completed first class having to to do the new module to earn the blue badge?

The intention was for the new module to replace BOTH the FCC airmanship, and the groundschool given at a VGS/AGS for the blue wings syllabus. So if they did the old first class, they haven’t done the right syllabus for the wings badge - under the old system they had to do groundschool anyway.

Not sure where you’re getting that from

ACTO 031 indicates

No mention of first class or prior training.

AEF eligibility remains 13yrs3months and enrolled

1 Like

Maybe it’s just a hangover from the past but I swear it used to also require airmanship to be completed…

Even if not a rule, probably still a good idea.

Used to be something like ‘Serials 1-3 must be completed before a cadet attends an AEF’ or similar. Which was badges of rank, saluting etc.

Must be dim and distant past…in all my 20-cough years its always been 13y3 and enrolled

Pretty sure the CCF syllabus said that when I rejoined in 2017. Probably just because they never updated it after withdrawing the ACP. It definitely included airmanship as I remember teaching an airmanship lesson on the coach down in my first month when we realised some of the cadets (including those with 4+ years service had never done it.)

In reality flying comes around so rarely you will probably be sending a Sergeant who’s never had the opportunity before.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the planned schedule locally for AEF when it does return. If they get flying before March I can offer every squadron in the wing between 5 and 6 cadet spaces each before the end of June according to the ambitious schedule, weather depending… but as is AEF is still not flying so we’ll see.

Does that include mid-week? Or is that all weekends?

All weekends. I was quite surprised when it came through. But like I say still grounded at the moment so we’ll see if it materialises!

The only trouble with an ambitious schedule is getting the OC’s to communicate and fill their spaces… the ones that complain the most seem to be the worst communicators/responders!

Hahahaha you must get alot of slots…

I’ve seriously with no.word of a lie… in the last 3 months sent my CWO gliding for the first time!

What happens if the Squadron has no Flight Sim function?

The technical requirements aren’t too onerous, it’s possible using a tablet, you don’t need flight controllers as I understand it. So X-Plane (which is free) on an iPad should work.

My understanding as taught is that…

It must be delivered with the use of an actual yoke, or joystick, thrust levers and rudder pedals.

Therefore a laptop as minimum is needed.

I agree. For sqns without, it is another burden.

1 Like

You are correct.

The requirement used to be first class, and 13 and 3.

Then it was chopped to just the flying bit of First class and 13 and 3.

The theory, so I was told, was that you would be able to understand more of the technical parts of the AEaf flight without being actually taught eg: runway headings, hold points, etc.

1 Like