Fitness for Junior Leaders

I was doing some research on Junior Leaders and one of the requirements is being physically fit to complete the course, but how fit do you need to be specifically? Because just saying fit is a bit open to interpretation.

So is there a set of requirements that say you have to do X many press ups, X sit ups, and a certain time in a run?

Cadets needs to meet a minimum standard of fitness in order to be able to train safely in the field environment without causing injury to themselves. Both aerobic fitness and muscular endurance are important to ensure the necessary physical robustness.

As a guide, Cadets who would be capable of completing a Silver/Gold DofE expedition, a road marching weekend or who meet the physical fitness standards to join the Armed Forces should possess the necessary physical attributes.

I found this while researching it myself a few months ago

2 Likes

Even that’s a bit open to interpretation… I’ve done gold D of E and can run half marathons pretty well but can hardly do a 5 press ups in a minute lol.

1 Like

I would go with the RAF fitness test so around 20 press-ups and 35 sit-ups in a minute as well as a 2.4km run in around 11 and a half mins that’s what I’ve been working towards for the start of JLxxii (Hoping I get a place!)

2 Likes

Focus on your running and muscular endurance, the most injuries are caused by issues with carrying kit, so get used to that. Get your run times within your appropriate age group on the RAF test and get used to carrying weight in well fitted webbing if you can.

I’d also recommend practising your navigation, being able to navigate effectively is a huge boon on the course, and means you can focus on doing everything else without the fear of being lost being an additional concern. The lessons in Leading Basic Nav are ideal, doing all of the exercises as you go in the old PDF.

2 Likes

A point often overlooked is care of the feet. Sort them out and look after them. In an infantry role, if your feet are screwed, so are you.

2 Likes

Seconded. And don’t do what one or two geniuses did some years ago and wear the waterproof socks we issued to the JLs when it’s baking hot. We couldn’t work out why we were treating onset trench foot in balmy sunshine.

1 Like

As an ex-JL, as mentioned above endurance and stamina are focussed upon largely on the course. You want to be meeting the RAF Fitness Standards as a minimum, as I this was something that was expected to be completed on the selection weekend. Practice tabbing with some weight too, you may find that you can easily March 6km, however add some filled webbing or a Bergen and this becomes a lot tougher! Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes