First Class Training Ideas

Just 2 which leap out at me, the 1st RAF presentation slide 20 mentions Joint Force Harrier which is defunct along with the aircraft. Also the quiz mentions the Canberra as the first RAF jet aircraft which would have been the Gloucester Meteor.

Aside from that it all looks really good to me. I’ll look at the other modules when I get a chance.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll get it changed :slight_smile:

Gloster Meteor (but pronounced the same as the town). :grinning:

1 Like

Could you share these on to the ACC drive? You can use Google docs to share them read-only if you prefer.

The Air Training Corps Module is now finished. Take a look here!

I’ll have also put a link to all the files on the ACC Drive under Training.

Really enjoying your work!

There are a few tweaks in the ATC which I noticed or can suggest.

The Instructor notes state that cadets join at 13 & 3 months which has changed.
The slide for wings says “group” when you mean “grouped” (its correct in the instructor notes).
Teh post WW2 slide talks about the DofE replacing George VI as Air Commodore in Chief, should probably mention that the Duchess of Cambridge has replaced him. (There are some great photos of her from ATC Sunday this year.

I will make time to sit down and review this all properly for as at the moment I’m just throwing out my immediate impressions.

This is a great project and it’s defiantly something we will be using at my Squadron!

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I must admit, this one was a little rushed. Changes made! :slight_smile:

To make the topics more interesting, and so instructors can rely less on PowerPoint Presentations as the only teaching method, Session Instructions have been created for each module. These contain ideas and optional tasks to increase engagement.
Click on Instructor Notes, then Session Instructions in each module to have a look. Also now available on ACC Drive under Training then Cadet Training System.

1 Like

tkg - I’ve had a dip into several of these. Excellent work!!

1 Like

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/blog/map-reading-basics-ordnance-survey/

Some videos about Map Reading that I’ve just discovered through Facebook.

Might be of use to someone?

2 Likes

Looks OK, but how universal is it in terms of “individual coming in off the street” delivering, which is what we need? Which is what the assembled brilliance at Cranwell failed to grasp with ultifail. Pretty much all of the content requires subject knowledge, which without reference materials is an uphill task.

I don’t quite get the extra engagement idea.

The First Class (if not all of the ATC classifications system) is pretty much get them through it as 95% of cadets aren’t interested and or don’t care about it, much beyond doing enough to get the next badge, which has been the case for as long as I can remember. It wasn’t until I did Staff P2 that I took any real notice. I remember ‘extra engagement’ (but in schools they referred to it as stretching and challenging) from parent’s evenings which meant doing revision classes and extra homework to ensure school league table expectations could be achieved. Is that what we should be doing to youngsters doing an extra curricular activity?

A positive and constructive post as ever :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

1st class training is basically the core of what we do. If you’ve managed to make your cadets uninterested in that, then you’re really doing something wrong.

1 Like

Who wants to sit through history and organisation lessons for the ATC and RAF after school? I treat this as very light touch. The only time these have any relevance is when cadets go for Wing award interviews and staff going for boards.

History of Flight requires a real interest and understanding of the context and simultaneous developments in different countries if you are going to do it any justice and not just a list of names, dates and places. I read a lot about aviation history as a boy (I was given some Ladybird books that sparked an interest) and in the 70s aviation was much more interesting than it is now, it is far more entwined than what the ATC puts out.

Things like IET, Nav and Airmanship that have a degree of advancement through the syllabus require far more attention, which they get. Whether the cadets are interested is another thing entirely and all the ‘glossy corporatised’ resources in the world won’t make one iota of difference in that, but it seems to the mantra in the Corps. All you need are PPTs and or notes with the info and some images and some reference books for pupils to work from.

You mentioned that all you need is PowerPoint’s and notes with the information and reference books for pupils to work from and I agree; that was the reason I started the project. Unfortunately, the current Ultilearn material we are given doesn’t provide this and each module is inconsistent. The PowerPoint’s can be of a poor quality and contain too much, or too little detail and are often out of date. I have also found notes non-existent in many modules.

So in response to this I have updated the PowerPoint’s with a consistent theme, and created notes (which are in the ‘Instructor Notes’ section in every module) so anyone off the street with basic instructor training (MOI etc.) can deliver it successfully with a prior read through. Because I have been in the organisation for a while now I may take some information for granted so if the notes aren’t clear or detailed enough to someone new I need to know so I can improve them.

It is a sad fact that young people these days have shorter attention spans than even a decade ago and get bored easily. The additional activities offered are all optional and are often just a way of presenting the information in a different way, or even to ‘break up’ the subject so cadets are doing different activities in between. Personally I get very bored listening to someone in front of a PowerPoint presentation for hours and I know the cadets do too. The activities make the subjects a little more interesting by doing something different, replacing slides and slides of PowerPoints. For example, the airfield labelling task in the Airmanship section doesn’t necessarily need any instructor input at all, cadets complete the learning themselves by physically moving labels around the map, rather than being stationary and not really listening to the content.

History of Flight and The ATC/ RAF don’t need to take more than an evening or so each to complete, even with all of the extra activities. I would say that’s reasonable. At my squadron, classification training is broken up with lots of different activities throughout the month so cadets experience a variety of activities from day one. I consulted with staff in my wing at our annual wing conference and completed surveys about the project to see if it was actually needed and the response was overwhelmingly positive, with squadrons saying it is much needed and some even offered to pay for their own set of printed material before I secured funding to get it sent to every unit free of charge.

3 Likes

How goes the project? You’ve been quiet for a while. :wink:

As with all things Air Cadet related other things have got in the way that has slowed me down a bit. I’m still working on it though and Map Reading should be the next one to be completed pretty soon!

Then i’ll do Initial Expedition Training but may leave radio for a while because imo the syllabus change has actually produced some decent material for that.

Keep your eyes peeled for more content coming soon… :smiley:

3 Likes

This is fantastic!!