First aid badge for no.3?

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=13599]You’ve got a lot of experience in recent Operational theatres right?

Oh, right.[/quote]

Since I was talking about the World Wars… I don’t reckon either of us have a lot of first hand experience there…

You said [quote=“tango_lima” post=13597]

I know Cold War Warriors and the Bosnia generation get a bit angsty about badges on combats (“OPSEC, wah wah, what if you get taken prisoner, wah wah”), [/quote]

I took that to mean by implication that you think people in theatre now should just wear what they like?

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=13602]You said [quote=“tango_lima” post=13597]

I know Cold War Warriors and the Bosnia generation get a bit angsty about badges on combats (“OPSEC, wah wah, what if you get taken prisoner, wah wah”), [/quote]

I took that to mean by implication that you think people in theatre now should just wear what they like?[/quote]

i’m not sure if you spent much time at a PB on the backside end of nowhere, but broadly, they do.

[quote=“sirvicalsmeer” post=13602]You said [quote=“tango_lima” post=13597]

I took that to mean by implication that you think people in theatre now should just wear what they like?[/quote]

Not sure why you thought that?

I was thinking more about a couple of ex-squaddies I know who were a bit shocked when I was showing them some photos of the blokes going into action circa-1917 and the tommies were decked out in various badges to show division, brigade, battalion, etc…

[quote=“angus” post=13596]i’ll make with the heresy - i actually think that appropriate qualification badges on DPM/MTP would be both a practical thing and that it would help re-afirm the sometimes forgotten notion that DPM/MTP is infact a uniform to be worn with the same respect and care as a set of full No 1’s, rather than, on some occasions/units, a marginally more confortable and exotic version of coveralls.

an FA badge, something for a BELA perhaps, a JL etc… appropriate, small, reasonably discrete but still visble, with a decent, distinctive but parent-service orientated TRF and rankslides marked ‘Cadet’ and it would be fine - it doesn’t need to turn into the scouts, it just needs a bit of sense. for that reason however…[/quote]

Exactly what i was thinking! No.3 isn’t really treated as a proper uniform anymore. Many people use it as en excuse to not put the same care and attention as No. 2A for example.

I don’t see the problem with having discrete qualification badges:)

I really don’t see how sewing badges to kit will encourage anyone to iron it.

I agree.
They already sew badges onto No3 and some people’s kit still looks shocking.

I’m not sure if you’ve spent much time at a PB recently either, but broadly, for quite a few years now, they haven’t worn what they like. Several years ago, comments were made that British troops were getting a bit ‘Ramboesque’ at the PBs and out on the ground, and someone senior made a comment that they were looking ‘unprofessional’ and very like the US military in Vietnam with massive variations in dress. So the edict went out that when outside the FOBs and PBs (so effectively ‘on duty’), the troops were all to be kitted in proper uniforms. When back inside and more or less ‘stood down’, they could relax dress. On Herrick 18, ground troops were not even permitted to wear their regimental TRFs, just their Divisional sleeve-badge and the ISAF logo on their Osprey front. Of course at places like Bastion and Kandahar (although not as many Brits at KAF these days), you have the ‘uniform police’ who go round and chastise people for wearing UBACS on-base, or sunhats with non-regulation brims!