Fieldcraft exercises with/without equipment

Hello, does anyone know any fieldcraft exercises with or without equipment? My squadron (won’t disclose which one and from what wing) has been keen on introducing new fieldcraft exercises with fieldcraft skills.

Define equipment? Ideally Fieldcraft should be with the cadet training vest or webbing.

However these would work, maybe with a bit of adaptation

Movement in the field
Observation/Judging distances
How things are seen
Duties of a sentry
Obstacle crossing (if you have an area with obstacles or something that can look like them)
Intro to night training
Possibly personal camouflage (might be hard to do without cam cream but that is fairly cheap)

Do you have any kit at Wing or maybe a friendly CCF or ACF unit who might be able to help?

ETA:
You could make an ‘exercise’ out of these elements if you have space on the Sqn. You won’t get approval to deploy ie go off Sqn without the proper kit.

1 Like

And, arguably more importantly, do you have a qualified member of staff or staff cadet who can properly deliver the training!

(I’m going to hazard a guess the answer might be no, as a suitably qualified FCI should really already know what sort of exercises can be done.)

3 Likes

I suspect you are right there

I mean like any equipment to do with Fieldcraft for possible future investments

Unknown if we have one. Wing is unclear

You need a qualified FCI on unit, this will be a staff member or possibly a staff cadet (more likely if they have done JL)

Question brought about through ignorance as we rarely have contact with JL types;

Whilst a JL can deliver the training element, are they genned up enough to deliver the administrative side of Fieldcraft? The SMS and all the paperwork behind it???

On paper yes as all FCIs under the current system are qualified to be ECOs. In practice I’d not anticipate a staff cadet organising a deployed ex without support.

On Sqn training sure (and no SMS needed for that)

Things that are most useful:

Shelter sheets (bashas), paracord, pegs and bungees

Mess tins

Pattern 58 water bottles

Cam cream

Scrim nets

Boonie/bush hats

If you have the funds then day sacks, webbing, roll mats.

We mostly use DPM PLCE webbing which is still absolutely fine to use.

There are whole threads here on day sacks (:smiley:) but 20-30L capacity in green or tan works well and can be used for non Fieldcraft activities too.

A lot of the props you’d need for lessons or exercises can be found around a unit anyway, it’s a question of adapting what you have!

3 Likes