Fieldcraft exercise ideas

What, adding unnecessary risk to achieve the objective? Seems like a good idea.

We used to add risks.

But then mitigate them.

Now its - dont even add the risk.

1 Like

No, now it’s don’t add unnecessary risk.

Except. As you well know.

There are quarters that deem every risk unnecessary.

Case in point.
A sqn has been refused permission to use their car park for drill anymore.

Why - because it is not lit ‘sufficiently’.
Risk of slips, trips, falls are too great.

No exceptions allowed even in daylight or summer twilight as risk of staff not differentiating was deemed too great.

Absolute nonsense.

1 Like

As long as the cadets have the perception of adventure and fun, while staying reasonably safe, and even better if they are developing skills at the same time then brilliant.

I dont think there is any such thing as unnecessary risk, just suitable levels of risk to keep the activity adventurous, whilst safe, and fun for the skill level of that group.

You’re not going to take a group of new cadets into a huge DTE for a fieldcraft exercise (without heavily constrained boundaries etc) just as you’re not going to have a JL taking part in an exercise on your unit footprint.

1 Like

All Fieldcraft and AT to go virtual with headsets. Make sure we strap the cadets to the seats so they don’t fall off and hurt themselves!

3 Likes

I think you missed my point there . . . or there’s a massive /s

1 Like

I agree - that is madness.

My point was not that we should eliminate any or all risk but ensure risk is aligned to the training, so the wild country part needs to be questioned. Not saying it can’t be done but the question needs asking.

This is a fair take on the issue. If it came to HQ the first question will be Why and how is this activity benefiting the delivery of FC against what training objective.

Consider it as a practical consolidation of selecting a route across country between multiple objectives and it sounds fieldcrafty. Term it as Escape and Evasion and the TSAs will be up in arms.

3 Likes

From the Fieldcraft side it has a few potential red flags so I’d be asking for more detail and not just on the location. Human factors and all that.

Well that’s been a classic for years, how many DofE Silver/Gold Expeditions have had to be called “trekking” because WEXO’s won’t provide funding for MT etc

2 Likes

Not just WExOs, Mt Sections are just as bad :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve never had MT say no to something that was authorised though!

I do remember a memo came out at least 10 years ago specifically banning escape and evasion exercises. It would be interesting to see if the exercise is approved at all. Who knows that might have been one of those local rules of course!

1 Like

Make it a Navigation Exercise that involves Dynamic Route Assessment and Planning whilst on task!

2 Likes

If you want to involve radios in the exercise have a look at Ex Blue Iridium in the cadet radio exercise book, Chapter 9 to ACP44, on Sharepoint. Takes a bit of prep but keeps cadets and staff busy when it starts. Lots of other exercises in there to run outside or inside the Sqn too.

2 Likes