Fieldcraft essentials,techniques and tips

Top of my field craft list is a keen fresh faced baby Sgt who has passed tea making 101.

3 Likes
  • Any idiot can be uncomfortable. Donā€™t try to be smart and cut down your kit to make it fit into a 45l daysack, when you are staying out for a weekend in March/April. A 1 season sleeping bag and a spare tshirt will not keep you warm.
  • If you want cam cream, buy camtech. There is no second best option here. The rest are all equally rubbish.
  • Goretex is for when it is raining or perhaps if it is very cold/windy. If it is neither of those things, take it off. You will just sweat buckets and get wet anyway, especially if moving.
  • Make sure you always carry your racing spoon. The correct place to carry your racing spoon is in your smock. For extra points, the spoon should be attached to your smock by an armā€™s length of paracord.
3 Likes

Is that with or without the egg?

4 Likes

Camtech is amazing.
It lasts for ever as well, I still have my original compact from when I was a cadet.

1 Like

Good racing spoons are no good for egg races, because physics.

3 Likes

If itā€™s just for recruits - these are a couple basic ones I tell recruits in my platoon on their first night ex. Because they donā€™t know much fieldcraft, itā€™s personal admin stuff to stop them losing their kit.

1. First line/Belt kit should never be more than an arms length away from you, even if you are just going for a waz - the actual contents of your belt kit is quite a bit, so make sure its always with you.

2. Any kit in CEMO that will not be used in the next minute should be in the bergen.

3. Socks at least twice a day, pits washed at least every day.

4. Seriously - listen to your Section Commander/2IC - they know what they are doing, and you donā€™t yet.

2 Likes

That depends if theyā€™re an officer or notā€¦

eh?..

Surely that distinction is only necessary if there is map reading involved?

2 Likes

Reminds of one my. Fav YouTube videos

8 Likes

The joke was not to listen to an officer. Baiting the commissioned among us is on his list of responsibilities.

5 Likes

Is the SA(M)07 generally available to CFAVs outside of the ACF? Iā€™ve always wondered how RAFAC CFAVs go about getting this qualification? Prerequisites appear to be WHT on the SBS, smoke grenade and trip flare. Is it a case of individual CFAVs having the right connections and networking to blag a place at Frimley, or can it be done through SATTs?

I thought they were banned for air cadets?

Definitely not. LaSER have certainly been pushing for more of this, offering courses for staff to up skill.

2 Likes

Correct. Updated guidance in the next ACP 18 Vol 1 but bottom lines: smoke is fine (even for 16+ cadets with DDH approval) and all other for CFAVs only in certain circumstances. I wonā€™t spoil all the surprises.

Real bottom line: there is no ā€˜banā€™ on pyros.

1 Like

Check the Shooting Portal for info: course dates through to Mar '23 and info on the course. All applications via Rgnl FcO to me.

Do you foresee there being the budgetary appetite for them in future given the one in the works got canned due to costs/COVID?

Yes. I was disappointed but I can actually understand why it was cancelled.

Regardless: we can attend the CTC Frimley Park courses.

What level of fitness is required for Mqual.

Iā€™ve heard everything from
ā€¦
Olympic to be able to use an l98.

1 Like