Field Kitchen

Morning Team,

I hope this is in the right section? I kind of figured that a field kitchen is only really used when on a camp (MOD’s feel free to move topic)

I’m looking into getting a new field kitchen for the Squadron as ours is a death trap (military style green thing).

a) Where do did you buy yours?
b) What styles have you got?
c) What works?

If I can have pictures, links to websites etc… That would be MUCH appreciated.

Ta

WO Merlin

i cant offer any comments about buying new, i assume you mean you’re looking to replace one of these?

i’ve no idea where ours comes from, one of those “we’ve always had it” items and works well. i know a neighbouring Sqn got theirs serviced and made a massive difference. seals were replaced, fittings thoroughly cleaned or replaced all together, says it works much more efficiently and the control levers are much more effective with better resolution (rather than full, and not quite full as most seem to have!)

so my suggestion would be is it worth looking into getting it serviced? i suspect would be cheaper for a start…

My parents car club has a chap who owns his own field kitchen, it’s built into an Italian motor-trike, used by alpine units in the war. That’s pretty cool.

There’s a field kitchen advertised here: http://www.milweb.co.uk/classifieds.php?type=23

Thanks Baldrick - I’ll give that one a miss.

Steve679 - Where did they get it serviced? This sounds like exactly what we need.

[quote=“merlin456” post=8240]Thanks Baldrick - I’ll give that one a miss.

Steve679 - Where did they get it serviced? This sounds like exactly what we need.[/quote]

Sorry, didn’t take in the wood fired bit. That’s a good site to keep an eye on for that sort of thing though.

Edit, also didn’t see that was the wanted section. I’ll come back later with my brain on.

We’ve had ours serviced and it made a world of difference. Don’t know if it was an in house job though as one of our CIs is trained to fix gas things!

Our Field Kitchen is on a military trailer and came from Eb*y for approx £1k. One of our Officers is a craftsman and has serviced and refurbed it; and brought it up to an excellent standard.

Whats wrong with some hexy and a couple of mess tins??

Nothing as far as I can tell its what we use I have never seen a field kitchen get used by any sqn I have been on would be nice to have though

Our neighbouring squadron has one, and Pep makes bacon and sausages on it for me.

Have you considered getting yourself a Pep?

I have a Sgt that does that for me.

[quote=“MattB” post=8254]Our neighbouring squadron has one, and Pep makes bacon and sausages on it for me.

Have you considered getting yourself a Pep?[/quote]

Who hasn’t!? :wink:

It seems the general opinion is to get it serviced. I’ll see if any of the parents are gas qualified people! Cheers for everyone’s comments.

it is pEp’s Sqn i am thinking of, all in house by a competant CI. sorry its not a better answer…

Nothing as far as I can tell its what we use I have never seen a field kitchen get used by any sqn I have been on would be nice to have though[/quote]
A No 5 cooker (field kitchen unit) is a magnificent device if kept maintained, and makes life just that much better if you are in a fixed encampment for a couple of days. It can also make sure that everyone is fed at the same time, rather than at cadet pace on a slow hexi. Another benefit is that if you’re in the field in the winter, the sprogs can have soup or hot chocolate flashed up ready for them for when they finish an activity in the evening.

If you have the oven, well you can pizza, baked tatties and all sorts of good stuff. Not that there’s anything wrong with compo apart from compo stinky bum, the taste… :wink:

If you want to bid for one.

[quote=“the silverback” post=8543]http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/55387/Field_Kitchen_No5_4_Burner_Propane_Cooking_Stove.htm

If you want to bid for one.[/quote]

Oooh that’s much shinier than ours!

That’s well worth it! I’ve never seen an un-issued No5 before.

We are going to try and referb ours first…

Has anyone got a copy of ‘AC 40081 Cooking Outfit Field No 5 Handbook’ ?

Or know where I can get one. I don’t know why, the boss wants it.

Try contacting MCSU?