Fast Track WO to VRT

In the RAF if you have been a WO for 12yrs or more, you can do your KFS course (2 weeks - some are 6 for some reason) and come out as Flt Lt… does the ATC have something similar?

[quote=“ACP20, PI201”]
COMMISSIONING OF WARRANT OFFICERS (ATC)

1. Suitably qualified WO (ATC) with a minimum of 5 years’ experience, having been successful at the OASC selection process, may be considered for the award of ante dates of seniority. On successful completion of the OIC, ex-WO(ATC) may be promoted to Fg Off one year after their date of commission or the date of completion of OIC (whichever is the later). Thereafter, they may be promoted to acting Flt Lt unpaid after 6 years satisfactory service (ie they may be granted 3 years ante dated seniority). However, this is not an automatic entitlement; each case will be considered on its merits and will be subject to recommendation of OC Wg and the approval of Rgnl Comdt.[/quote]

thanks - so PO with seniority … not much of an incentive

It shouldn’t need to be an incentive - people should make the choice based on genuine reasons and needs rather than the promise of seniority.
All it is, and all it needs to be, is a recognition of previous service and experience.

And earlier Flt Lt, assuming that they’re not already in a Flt Lt post by then.

I was always under the impression that WOs were commissioned directly as Fg Off, rather than Plt Off. Did I just dream that?

It may have changed.

a former WO in our Wing (12+ years service) went in as a Plt Off…he will be Fg Off after 1 year and Flt lt after 6 (via time served) if not promoted sooner.

or at least that is what he is/has told me the route will be for him…

Sweet dreams I think.

I think we need to bear in mind that an RAF WO will have done formal Leadership trg at several stages throughout their career up to commissioning and have been responsible for people management for quite a while too; the average ATC WO would be unable to compare with that.

As Incubus has pointed out, ACP20, PI201 mentions our WOs doing the OASC selection process, which I take to mean the full process the same as everyone else, whereas Reg RAF WOs on the ‘fast track’ route only do the interview and medical, presumably because of their proven leadership ability over their career thus far.

Perhaps, in the distant future, when we have not only a proper staff development programme in which we can guarantee the imparting of knowledge, but also some sort of assessment process to show that the knowledge and experience can be applied, we might go down a similar route.

Basically, a 20-year-long OASC :wink:

Basically, a 20-year-long OASC ;)[/quote]

Pretty much, yes!

I think we need to bear in mind that an RAF WO will have done formal Leadership trg at several stages throughout their career up to commissioning and have been responsible for people management for quite a while too; the average ATC WO would be unable to compare with that.

As Incubus has pointed out, ACP20, PI201 mentions our WOs doing the OASC selection process, which I take to mean the full process the same as everyone else,[/quote] not debating that, but the fact no fast track of ranking

No real fast track and no real recognition of experience either.

A WO of 5 years will have served at least 13 years in uniform but upon commissioning will only be considered to have the same level of experience as a brand new officer with only 1 year service?

Seems like people still think there’s some sort of real difference between the jobs we all do.

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=26144]No real fast track and no real recognition of experience either.

A WO of 5 years will have served at least 13 years in uniform but upon commissioning will only be considered to have the same level of experience as a brand new officer with only 1 year service?

Seems like people still think there’s some sort of real difference between the jobs we all do.[/quote]

Thank you that’s my point, I’ve been a WO 21 yrs in November and IF I wanted to go commission then as above would be the thought
and actually if they made a sensible change to policy they might get some WO’s that may consider such a move…

[quote=“kitkat” post=26147][quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=26144]No real fast track and no real recognition of experience either.

Seems like people still think there’s some sort of real difference between the jobs we all do.[/quote]

Thank you that’s my point, I’ve been a WO 21 yrs in November and IF I wanted to go commission then as above would be the thought
and actually if they made a sensible change to policy they might get some WO’s that may consider such a move…[/quote]

careful - too logical in thinking there :slight_smile:

So chatting to SQN staff this evening about how WO’s then go commission… So lots of differing ideas, lots of “depends” so we looked at WWO/RWO/CACWO assume all are +40, DI’s, maybe even Arms DI’s, commanded DF’s or SQN’s, maybe other quals such as RCO’s’ ML etc, etc - looking at the book she/he would have to go Wing Sift, OASC and Initial officers course??? Thoughts were there should be a “commissioning” course or go on SQN commanders type course and come out as Fg Off with Flt Lt after 1 year (although parent service is Flt Lt straight off)…