Ex regulars and different colour berets etc

I read it a while ago in a document online like ACF Dress Regs or something like that, so I guessed it was national thing.

A mate of mine is ACF and he is allowed to wear his Signals beret badge etc so it seems to be quite widespread

Army Dress regulations state that ‘Badgesofhonoraryrank or rank held on retirement or discharge from service on the Active List may be worn on certain specific occasions. Application is to be made to MOD PS12(A) on each occasion when an Officer or Warrant Officer wishes to wear the uniform worn at the point of retirement/discharge. When an application is approved, the uniform, regimental badges and badges of rank to which the Officer or WO was entitled at the time of retirement/discharge are to be worn in accordance with Section 5 Part 2 of these regulations. No CCF/ACF insignia is to be worn. Officers holding a reserve commission and serving with the CCF are not to wear the uniform appropriate to their commission or the symbol ‘R’ when on CCF duty. They may, however, wear that uniform and the symbol ‘R’ on other occasions under current regulations with the approval of PS 12(A).’. If CCF (A), school staff instructors can also apply to wear the cap badge and uniform of the regiment or corps at the time of discharge with the CCF Title. Maroon / Green / Sand berets may only be worn by those qualified to do so and with the express permission of their previous units.

1 Like

That’s really interesting as that’s never been the practice here, and I allowed (as my predecessors did) officers from RLC, RE and Int Corps to continue to wear their old beret on routine duty.

I’m aware permission for amendments / dispensation to the Army Dress Regulation I.e wearing of Barrack Dress has been permitted on the authority of Brigade / Col Cadets before too.

1 Like

Same on ours - we have Marines who wear their beret & shoulder titles for example.

We had a cadet who was entitled to Jump Wings and a Maroon Beret.

2 Likes

I really want to hear the back ground to that and how it is possible.

Did they enlist then quit and come back to cadets?

Yup. Back when we had 22 yr old CWO still. Joined up at 16ish, did P-Coy and jump training, passed. Injured on later training jump and medial discharge. Re-joined around 18/19 as a CWO and stayed till 22.

4 Likes

Not completely true! Royal Navy officers who complete All Arms Commando Course wear the green lid in all rigs where a beret is appropriate (ie. 3s, 4s, flying suit). This is regardless of where they are serving.

3 Likes

Not just RN Officers but also Ratings and also when dressed in 1s when parading with Royal Marines

1 Like

We are allowed to wear our para wings and Cdo Dagger in accordance with AP1358C but not our coloured berets