Energy Price Cap, costs etc

Just rediculous.

My energy bill has gone from £180pm to now £370.

By January £570 PER MONTH.

What the actual…

Time to open the coal mines.
Burn the north sea.
Dig up the peat

Whatever it takes.

Its rediculous.

2 Likes

What the proverbial.

How in the hell is that justified?

Yep, we came of an excellent fix at the wrong time, bill doubled.

Times are getting hard on Tracey Island - I am looking to moonlight with Uber, should fit a fair few punters in TB2.

2 Likes

Because we are heavily reliant on gas for electricity generation, around a 3rd so the high gas cost effects the price of electricity.

Longer term it would probably be a better investment to offer free solar and battery storage to every home with a suitable facing roof that feeds excess back to the grid.

5 Likes

It’s almost like those guys blocking roads to get the government to help insulate homes in Britain were on to something… Shame they were shot down.

2 Likes

Will be spending a lot more time out of the house this winter I think.

Our fixed deal ended in May, £156pcm, so in Jun they gave me £300 back, only charged us £70 for Jun, then put bill up to £186pcm , now Sep onwards will be £350. Why bother giving us the £300 and a cheap month, why not make the direct debit £30pm less ? Think I’ll have to turn the gas off at the meter to stop Mrs putting heating on as much as she is used to.

We are incredibly fortunate in that my electric is provided by the local garrison… So it’s substantially cheaper.

But yeah, heating will be right down this winter… Millions will not be able to cope. We are a single income household. And if it went to the level of @Paracetamol is paying…that’s over ¼ of my take home income. Nearly a ⅓. There is going to be a lot of difficult choices many families will have to make this year.

1 Like

I’m on a fixed deal of £59 PCM… due to expire in December, I’m a little scared.

1 Like

This is why we closed the coal mines. We envisioned a time when fuel from Europe would cost too much and/or be cut off.

Time to reopen them.

With the level they are talking about, even a single income household who is higher rate tax payer will be in fuel poverty :exploding_head:

They mothballed a coal powered facility near where I grew up a couple of years back. I wonder what it would take to bring it back online :thinking:

I would ramp that fear level right up.

Come jan your bill will be 250 to 300

Coal is a silly idea, we have enough wind around this country, and you don’t have to dig for wind.

It’s also self-defeating, one of the reasons our electicity consumption in summer is going up is because we need more Air Con, because the climate is up the wazoo, so if we burn coal to feed the air con, we’ll need more air con.

Good points.
But at night with no wind as we had for nearly 2 months… no solar or wind energy generated.

We need coal for hopefully MAX 12.months.
Just to see us through this.

10000000% agree solat and wind with a poop load of battery storage is the way forward.
But immeodate concerns of keeping lights on this winter = coal.

It’s not a long term answer, certainly. But renewable kit has a longer lead in to get it up and running. Coal can be available quickly and provide an interim source of energy.

I can’t believe there was no wind offshore, that’s where we should be dropping it.
Coal is not a short term fix, you can’t just reopen a coal mine overnight. Who’s going to dig it up? Farmers can’t get people to pick raspberries!

1 Like

I fell out with wind turbines when I saw this;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-02-05/wind-turbine-blades-can-t-be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills

Looks like people are starting to work on it, but burying them diminishes their environmentally friendly credentials.

Daily Mail mode on Get the prisoners down the mines. Or bring back national service and make a new generation of Bevin Boys. /Daily Mail mode

4 Likes

Very little due specifically to the weather system we had over the uk for 6 weeks.

There was of course always a little.
But we are talking less than 10% the norm.

You are 100% correct that renewables are the best. I fully endorse. We just need to solve the energy storage issues, then solar and wind only for everything. Maybe with a little nuclear to provide energy balancing to the grid.

But in order to get through the next 12 to 18 months and beat putin, frankly its a war footing.
Burn what we need to.