EASP Writing

An EASP for that? Tell me you are joking?

2 Likes

Perhaps my training officer is not as informed as to the protocol required for this. If I just complete the relevant risk assessment, is this sufficient?

For dry training on a random field on a parade night I would do a risk assessment for the area and a TOPL, along with the form for authority to train as it is off site. I am ACF so the procedure could be different, but I can’t ever imagine anyone demanding an EASP for that!

Many thanks

Is the Field authorised by your Wing Field Training Officer as your “Extended Squadron Footprint”?

Depending on how your Wing have it structured you may not need anything other than a lesson plan.

Where I am we do our ESF annually and that allows us to train anything in the manual at that location for a year without a further application. (As long as what we do Ian on our ESF Application).

@specop Current RAFAC policy is detailed in the Air Cadet Field Training Instructions (ACFTIs)

I think what you are proposing is Local Training, but only if with the Squadron Perimeter or a pre-approved Extended Squadron Footprint, else it is a Deployed Exercise and would therefore require a RAFAC FECO (Fieldcraft Exercise Conducting Officer) and an EASP.

RAFAC policy dictates we always produce an EASP for FT, and if a Battle Lesson is conducted and therefore an SA(M)07 qualified ECO is required the lesson is supported by an EAM.

So even if you are just going to do a bit of basic cam and concealment in a local field, they would want an EASP? That is the most amusing thing I’ve read today! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I suspect interpretation comes into that, my view would be that you would do one EASP for the year for that location. Not submit your ESF and then redo it everytime.

This may not be useful now as I’ve been away on a course this weekend but it sounds like the Trg Off is making it overly complicated.

From what Specop says this sounds like Consolidated Practical Training on an ESF.

The Sqn FT officer should be driving this - that would be the person with the AFTI qual ideally.

@specop if you want to PM me I may be able to help

This is a nonsense concept and restricts people in so many ways. This should be 10 miles around a squadron and not individual areas needing to be approved by someone looking to make them look more important.
In this case it is a patch of grass no matter how big, it is a patch of grass that will be used to give the cadets a bit of fun and learn something on a parade night.

You are close to being right but have taken it to extremes as usual. Maybe 10 minutes (walk) rather than 10 miles?

But 10 miles actually gives you something to play with, 10 minutes not so, especially in urban areas.

10 miles may work if it were a local AT area, but gives far too much scope if all you want is somewhere to put on make-up, wear twigs and erect a shelter.

If your unit is embedded in a city, getting a specifically-cleared training area is probably sensible. That is before I raise the spectre of TOPL.

Maybe find a neighbouring squadron in a more rural environment and use their local footprint?

Technically not allowed… Each Sqn has their own ESF and is only able to self-authorise use for their own cadets.

Drat!
Still, it is trivial to transfer cadets on SMS…

2 Likes

I don’t how it makes any difference personally whether it’s famil/practice AT or FMS as opposed to a full on exped or ex then yes.

One of the problems if it’s too restricted or just a specific place, is the cadets get bored and it loses it’s impact. We have got a series of routes from 3 - 10 miles we use for practice nav back to the squadron.

The only problem we have in the organisation is people trying to stop you doing things for no other reason than to stop you doing it.

Adapt and overcome!

you mean like Crab Football?

4 Likes

Sorry no reply for a while, PC crash, in end had to reformat, back-up 50% failed. Lost gmail. Hotmail Banks almost everything. Got 90% back now
The email I sent to wing, before crash, still no reply., an enigma, wrapped in a paradox wrapped in an oxymoron. Will keep trying :wink:

1 Like

Have written no paperwork myself…but we are now training @ the Grammar school. [Only took 6 months]