Drone ban?

Of course not.

However 2FTS will form a sub-group to argue the case that their instructors should be able to wear the RPAS brevet on their flight suits, whilst cutting round in flight suits taking selfies on the PTT.

4 Likes

I’m sure I mentioned this back in July, but nobody believed me!

Our wing must have been the only one to be told of the ban?

And of course, the RAFAC Astra Directive mentions drone racing as a future activity. They’ll no doubt make a big PR thing of drone racing, while forgetting to mention its actually banned.

Yeap. Probably at Aerospace Camp.

1 Like

Foxed that

2 Likes

It wasn’t a thing 3 months ago.
The IBN came out today.

Only if it’s down outside

The wording says “use is governed by the CAA, which requires specific training, quals and insurance, etc etc”, which is only true of drones weighing 250gr or more.

So if you’ve got one that’s <250gr, this IBN doesn’t apply.

So everyone go out and but a DJI Mavic Mini and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

You’ve got a good point, but sadly that’s not what the IBN says. It says until they update the rules, there is to be no drone flying.

Until that time, the use of Drones outside should be suspended.

By your same logic, anyone who is currently sticking to the rules wrt drones over 250g could also carry on as normal. (which I believe should be the case anyway!!)

1 Like

Poor wording there. “Should be suspended” is not the same as “is suspended”.

6 Likes

Ha! Good point, well made! The IBN doesn’t actually ban the use at all, just recommends that someone should be a ban in place :shushing_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

All the IBN needed to say is ‘RAFAC personnel are reminded drones must be used in accordance with CAA regulations and units must have insurance. Use in the defence estate must comply with (insert whatever their rules are).’

Which equals: if your drone is exempt, carry on. If you have some stomping great big jet powered job you darn well need the right licence for it.

3 Likes

I’m in favour of as was mentioned above.

Treat the IBN as if it was CAA policy, the use of should and shall have vastly different meanings when submitting various applications.

The Author and Sponsor of this IBN have once again shown their true colours towards promoting aviation.

3 Likes

We had an email from wing in July to say that drone flying was banned with immediate effect. Looks like we were the only ones!

Two thoughts:

1. They let their policy fall behind legislation, realised this way too late, then suspended all drone flying?

2. Why does everything need a bloody PTS?

3 Likes

Everyone loves a gimmick

5 Likes

It should be integrated as an option on the existing classification syllabus.

We’re creating badges for this and that but the basic classifications are in serious need of an update.

7 Likes

Yep.
He should quit.

Total wet lettuce.
Unfit for service.

Bet he gets a CBE for ‘services to mandatory training’ however.

1 Like

Which they are about to get…

Timeline for that? Would be good to have heads up so we can adapt trg pgm as needed.