Drone Advice

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a drone to record some adventurous activities - canoeing, climbing etc. It would be a private purchase not my squadrons, and I’m aware of some of the legalities of their use (and that we can’t use them on MOD property).

Does anyone have one? Any advice on which to get?

I don’t have one atm, but am looking to get into drones like yourself.
Obviously the go to drone is the DJI Mavic Pro.
But if you want something cheaper then there are a large number of ~£3 - 500 drones with varying features.

Well, I thought about the Mavic Pro but then I saw a review about the Mavic Air which is better in lots of ways apparently.

I know the Mavic Air is popular with youtubers, though I have never tried it myself (or the mavic pro).

I have a mavic pro and it’s an excellent piece of kit. Great for anyone starting out and excellent image quality

2 Likes

Phantom 4 is probably the best bet - Phantom 3 if you haven’t got that (very large) amount of money to spend on a drone

As a drone for photography, the phantom line is the best. But the portability on the Mavic is a showstopper for me. And I think the camera on the pro is slightly better.

The Air is a better aircraft than the Pro in some ways but the camera is better on the pro from the footage I’ve seen - more dynamic range and better shadow detail.

For the purposes above though the DJI Spark will be good enough, and it’s not as tragic if it suffers an uncontrolled impact into terrain

1 Like

It is going to depend on what you are looking for. Someone who is going somewhere specifically to video activities would probably choose from the phantom line as you get better battery capacity/flight time and a better camera. This does however mean that you are carting a lot of kit around as the phantom is considerably larger. The mavic pro and air both have smaller camera sensors which mean worse low light performance. If your primary purpose is daytime video then this may not be much of an issue (we generally don’t take cadets canoeing in the dark). The mavic air comes with the smallest footprint however it will shoot 4k video and I have seen it do impressive stuff. It has a carry case which is 190 × 110 × 71mm (aircraft only, not controller).

Speak for yourself!!! Probably wouldn’t try and film them doing it though!!

Good points!