Drill Manual 2018

Hi, So tonight I got promoted to Corporal and thrown in at the deep end so to speak. I was asked to take final parade in a different way to which we usually do it. because of this I had no idea what to do. does anyone know where to get an updated version online? or could someone send me one. Thanks In Advance?

1 Like

What was different about it? It varies massively between squaron but ultimately it should end in “An officer on parade, DISMISS”

ok so we usually just stand on a line number off and form a squad however for the first time for us, weve never learnt it, we were asked to do the whole marker then squadron on parade so yeh. but in general I just want a drill manual so that I can actually learn drill commands I will be using rather than going off said instinct

AP818 https://learning.bader.mod.uk/Global/AP818%20Drill%20and%20Ceremonial/20061003%20-%20AP%20818%20-%20u.pdf

For sizing a squad you’d do as follows:

• Form a regular squad.

• Squad, MARKER
    -Tallest man marches to the marker point and halts.

• Tallest on the right, shortest on the left, in a single rank, SIZE
    -Everyone right inclines and walks smartly so they are in a single line in height order.

• From the right, NUMBER
    -Everyone (except the marker) turns their head and eyes to the right and in order they go down the line shouting their number and turning their head and eyes back to the front. The marker is 1 and it goes uo from there.

• Even numbers stand fast, odd numbers two paces forwards, MARCH
    -Pretty self explanatory. Odd numbers take two steps without swinging arms.

• Number one stand fast, ranks right and left TURNS
    -The marker stands fast, and the front rank is to turn to the right whilst the rear rank turns to the left.

• Reform squad in (two/three) ranks, QUICK MARCH
    -The marker stands fast and all others march behind the person in front of them to make lines of twos or threes dependant on how many ranks you ordered. The rear rank currently facing left do a right double wheel to get in line with the front rank. Each file turns into-line individually once the last man has halted.

• Dress off the squad, eyes front, done

Sizing a squad in a nutshell.

For just forming a standard squad you’d get them in a line at what we call “the back”. First command is “Squad, MARKER” and the tallest in uniform (usually) marches to the marker point. Then simply the next command is “Squad, get on PARADE” - Everyone else marches forwards to form three or two ranks (if there are more or less than nine people), you dress them off, and its sorted. Simple stuff.

3 Likes

There’s a copy of AP818 on the ACC Drive

1. If one needs/wants a nicely sized squad then one should use the procedure for “sizing a squad” (Note, some of the above commands are incorrect).

2. If one simply wants everyone fell in then, appoint a marker (if you must), and tell everyone to “fall in”.

3. If one has previously sized a squad and now has them waiting in an off-parade location at the back and subsequently want to bring them forward to an on-parade position one uses the procedure for “Get on Parade”.

There seems to be some persistent fad nonsense which has people believing that “Get on parade” is a precursor to “sizing a squad”.
It came about from a badly chosen sequence for the very old drill competition and won’t die!

1 Like

The correct version of get on parade is in this years sequence though!

But back to the original post as much as i am drill monkey and i live and breath it. I think you just need to adapt it to the space you have. 818 was written for parade squares not falling apart scout huts, just make sure its smart!

1 Like