In case your CofC hasn’t informed you. The Foot drill and Banner drill competitions have been updated and are available on Bader.
It’s not written on this update but an email from TG3 said that the Foot Drill Squad can now wear white belts and gloves. IMO, I’m not going to let my lot for several reasons…
- Cost / expense
- If a mistake is made it will stand out a mile!
I’ll copy and paste the email from TG3/CACWO:
As you know we have had a few problems with the 1.07 Version of the Banner Drill Competition. This has caused many hours work and far too many emails between TG3, The Corps DI and myself. TG3 has quite rightly pointed out that as he is the official sponsor of the Foot and Banner Drill competitions the final authority lays with him and thus he is will dictate how the competition is run. In previous years we have had a competition expertly designed from within our own ranks but it was based on ACP19. Now we use AP818 we must ensure we adhere as close as possible to its principles and although we all know AP818 is meant as a guide (and not always current) it is our drill bible.
Please see below the the improvements and corrections that TG3 has now authorised
Further to my previous email I now have what I believe to be the correct version of ACTO120 and what I intend to be the final version!
• I have changed the Inspection Guidelines for both elements of the competition. No doubt that will upset someone else – but the more recent set are actually better written.
(I note that white gloves/belts are permitted in the Banner Party competition but not in the Squad Drill Competition – I’d suggest that we should be consistent. Anyone handling the Banner should wear gloves so for uniformity the entire Banner Party should – and for consistency they should be optional in the Drill Squad Competition).
• Uncasing the Squadron Banner, I t is entirely logical for the WO to support the top of the cover with his Left hand so I have incorporated that change. However, there is absolutely no need for the Orderly to halt next to the WO before conducting a Left Turn and marching off – the WO wheels round to take up his/her position, but the Orderly marches straight off as per AP818.
• I have incorporated “Down, 2, 3, 4, 5, Up” (as opposed to Up… Down”) in the Dip and General Salute – but not in the Royal Salute. A Royal Salute would normally start with “Royal Salute – Present Arms” and end with “Shoulder Arms”. To put this into the context of a parade, Officers should remain in the salute while the Banner remains in the salute. The cue for recovering to the Carry would normally be “Shoulder Arms”, the end of National Anthem, or (following The Last Post) the sounding of Reveille. In the absence of this I have used the command SHUN to terminate the salute.
• The AP818 procedure for Forming Line from Column of Route is as I have described it – and will remain as it is. However, the Bearer should, indeed, take 3 paces forward to resume the parade position.
• The AP818 procedure for the March Off is, once again, as I have described it – “The bearer is to Mark Time for two paces, and is then to step short until the escorts are in line with him.”
• I have amended the Eyes Left to an Eyes Right to fit the parade scenario – although, of course, it should make no difference to the movement as Bearer, Escorts and WO all keep their head and eyes front!
• Action 33 (Banner Party About Turn) does not exist in AP818 – its main purpose appears to be to turn the Banner Party around so that the judge can see what they are doing and to put the Orderly in place. Consequently, while I think that the word “then” is superfluous, I have no objection to adding it.
• Casing the Banner is not really a “parade activity” – indeed, the Banner has been marched off the parade - and in my experience it’s normally done away from the public gaze. The more detailed instructions provide a better description of what should be done without altering the procedure itself. I am therefore happy to incorporate the suggested amendment.
• Although not included in AP818, having the Banner Bearer following on at the Slope after the WO, Orderly and Escorts have been dismissed is a neat method of getting them out of the way!
The latest amended version of the Banner Drill Competition V1.08 should be on Sharepoint within the next 10 days. All the amendments are minor but important, and are not beyond being adopted swiftly by any team hoping to win Regional or Corps level competitions. The Corps Foot & Banner drill competitions will be marked on V1.08.
With regards to Foot drill teams wearing white belts, this is optional as I know not all units have access to them. Marks will not be detracted if a team is not wearing white belts.
I hope you will all now advise your Sqns to look to V1.08 to ensure they are all using the approved competition.