Dreadlocks

I was asked tonight by a female cadet if she were allowed to have dreadlocks. Now she already had one but it is concealed by the rest of her hair. She’s wanting more but doesn’t know if she’s allowed. AP1358C refers to them in a male context but it’s not all that clear whether females are allowed them, or even if it’s only Rastafarians who can have them.

I hope someone out there can help me out!

[quote=“loughrey” post=12700]I was asked tonight by a female cadet if she were allowed to have dreadlocks. Now she already had one but it is concealed by the rest of her hair. She’s wanting more but doesn’t know if she’s allowed. AP1358C refers to them in a male context but it’s not all that clear whether females are allowed them, or even if it’s only Rastafarians who can have them.

I hope someone out there can help me out![/quote]

There’s a lot more leeway with how female cadets can arrange their hair. So as long as it fits within this:

[quote]Hairdressing and Cosmetics - Female Personnel.
0149. Female personnel are to arrange their hair in a manner that permits the Service Dress cap to be worn correctly; hair is not to show under the front or peak of the cap and the style is to be kept neat and no longer than the bottom edge of the collar at the back of the Service jacket.[/quote]

I don’t see the problem. The lack of specificity (I would argue intentionally) gives more room for interpretation.

Thanks!