DofE Skills Section, use of syllabus training

Hi just a quick query as to how things work elsewhere in the country. Back when I dix my DofE we tended to use the classifications for the skills section at all levels. So Leading Cadet at Bronze, Senior Cadet at Silver and so on.

When I took command of my Squadron the first major change I made was to make DofE the heart of the training programme to try and get as many cadets awards as possible. We have now had some success getting cadets through the Bronze Awards and this year have got cadets registered and working towards all 3 levels.

I have recently been informed that the rules have been changed and you can no longer use classification training at all levels. I have been told that you can only use it once, so if you use Leasing at Bronze you can’t then use Master at Gold.

Is this correct? Or are people at Wing/Region making up the rules as they go along? Is this a universal ATC rule or a local one?

I think it depends on what you out down. I would suggest that instead of simply classification training, give a more detailed answer. For example, I have used Aeronautics for Bronze, which is principles of airmanship as well as a bit of a project. Then for Gold maybe advanced navigation, consisting of Air Nav and Pilot Nav. To make it more relevant to the DofE, have them create a learning resource for both topics too, so they are passing something on too. Could be an exercise, planning route or something for the next groups to use. They can then teach the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The DofE Award Scheme is excellent and is a clear benchmark that employers can see and understand, unlike qualifications that change every few years.

The ACO supports the delivery of the award by financing it for those who are successfully in completing, an several aspects of the ACO Syllabus align with the DofE. However I would be looking for cadets to be going that extra mile, classifications are a compulsory part of training, and generates its own award with the BTEC Aviation Studies.

There are plenty of other sill options available that can be completed as part of the ACO, and will increase the cadet experience that your unit is giving as a result, some examples, all of which add to the cadet experience;

Ceremonial Drill - Flight/Squadron/Banner/Rifle
The cadets will look a lot smarter, drill becomes more than moving from A-B, can include an inter=flight competition. Allows for NCO development. May encourage your unit NCOs to complete the DI course, and allows them to impart that additional knowledge to the cadets

Marksmanship Training - No8/L98A2/L86A2/L81A2
So this requires a number of qualified staff, but if you include the IWT on a certain weapon, spend time developing the Marksman Principles, and then put this into practice with regular range periods. Hopefully you’ll end up with some Marksmans and a skill signed off. Different weapons could be used at different levels.

Media Communications
Start to get some press release, develop social media and gain new cadets as a result of undertaking the DofE Award = bargain!! Make sure you engage with your WingMCO as they should have knowledge and advice that they can share with this group.

Flight Sim
If your unit has a flight sim, put together a course of training, that will relate to their classifications for them to work through, potentially building up to an Air Experience Flight at your local station.

All of these could be run as old style Projects, the possibilities go on. The key for the award is that the skill develops during the time period. You could use the Award Scheme as the medium that enables your unit to undertake additional activities.

This all misses the point that cadets, compared to many other participants, are already going that extra mile simply by being part of the cadets and taking part in cadet things. Why make them work even harder to achieve a DofE if they are already qualifying?

[quote=“themajor” post=17287]The DofE Award Scheme is excellent and is a clear benchmark that employers can see and understand, unlike qualifications that change every few years.

The ACO supports the delivery of the award by financing it for those who are successfully in completing, an several aspects of the ACO Syllabus align with the DofE. However I would be looking for cadets to be going that extra mile, classifications are a compulsory part of training, and generates its own award with the BTEC Aviation Studies.

There are plenty of other sill options available that can be completed as part of the ACO, and will increase the cadet experience that your unit is giving as a result, some examples, all of which add to the cadet experience; [/quote]

Why the hell should cadets have to do more than non cadets?

This really grinds my gears!

If they can use it (and it is a skill- only thing that stops it is local train-settery) then why shouldn’t they? Give me one good reason why not?

In my opinion classifications is very acceptable, it is no different to students who have music lessons in school time using musical instrument grading as their skill.

If a cadet completes syllabus training they are doing a similar thing (working towards a qualification) but doing so out of school in their own time.

Thanks for all your replies so far. However my point is, are any of you having awards rejected for using Classifications more than once? Is this a corps policy or a local one? I want to build evidence before I throw my teddies out of the pram.

Evening Daws…

Haven’t had any down my way rejected. My belief is it’s local train-settery.

Nice to see you’re still about by the way…

[quote=“Perry Mason” post=17290][quote=“themajor” post=17287]The DofE Award Scheme is excellent and is a clear benchmark that employers can see and understand, unlike qualifications that change every few years.

There are plenty of other sill options available that can be completed as part of the ACO, and will increase the cadet experience that your unit is giving as a result, some examples, all of which add to the cadet experience; [/quote]

Why the hell should cadets have to do more than non cadets?

This really grinds my gears!

If they can use it (and it is a skill- only thing that stops it is local train-settery) then why shouldn’t they? Give me one good reason why not?[/quote]

Because their cadet service qualifies the volunteering/service aspect of the award scheme. This way they tick off 2 sections just by being a cadet.

I don’t think just being a cadet counts as volunteering. Being a cadet NCO maybe but just turning up is not enough. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadet service is not doing classifications… thats an academic, “skill” if you will and a more than valid achievement to be taken into account for DofE.

Also, as JM above has stated, just turning up really isnt enough. If they mentored younger cadets, or ran the tuck shop, or did something else of note (running other cadet/nco traning sessions?) then yes, these can be used for the service/volunteering section.

Edited to Add: So what if they use more than one “cadet” thing for DofE. If they can use the whole lot thats fine by me, and I reckon they’d still be doing more than groups who just do it with schools.

I may be slightly out f touch with the current award setup, but back when I did my award a few years back being a cadet qualified as service and the period used coincided with conducting my first class training.

Just being a cadet isn’t enough for the “volunteering” element you need to actually “do something” for example one of mine is using his role as Sports Officer at Silver Level, but he needs to bring specific evidence to show that he is doing the hours required to get signed off.

Cadets using classifications to get signed off is no different to someone musically talented using going through the grades on an instrument at every level of DofE to get signed off.

It’s a local rule and not correct, you can use aeronautics for all three levels, providing of course the cadet progresses each time. eDofE clearly shows aeronautics is the most popular Skill in the ACO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk