Does BADER Learn populate eLearning Classification Results on SMS?

Any ideas? As a Staff Cadet I can only access SMS and not Units meaning this is probably my only way of being able to work out what cadets have done what exams (besides bothering the OC to find out for me :laughing: ).

My understanding is there is a single data set that is shown in both SMS and Units, so the data should be the same across both. This means it should show up in both, AFAIK. But there might be an update time of some sorts? Happy to be corrected on that one though as not 100% sure.

When you go to the e-learning record on SMS - it now only gives you a link to view the record in Units - so it looks like you will need a staff member (with the access to view cadets) to be able to see the exam record, by the looks of it.

I did notice this on the eLearning tab specifically and by the looks of it, like you said, I’m not hopeful.

That being said, if you head to Classification > Summary instead it still shows the eLearning qualifications instead. Any idea if this would still update?

No results of any courses or exams undertaken in Learn will ever be displayed in SMS.

I had to look in 4 different areas to confirm that a cadet had actually passed all their MAC exams.
Learn was only showing half the results !

You should be looking in Units, 1 place :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find it baffling still I have to go through Units weekly to see what my cadets have passed for classification.

Surely we can find a way of Units to perhaps send a workflow updating that a cadet has passed enough modules for Leading/Senior/Master for us to approve, then it can be automatically forwarded to Media for certificates and Wing for badges?

1 Like

Why do that?

Tech the cadets for a couple of months in each subject then follow up with the exam. Get the results on the night.

Senior and Master, they do the exam in their own time. By that stage they need to take responsibility for their learning. But I wouldn’t be checking every week, I get them to email me when they pass it, then once a week check the system to ensure they actually have passed it before parade.

1 Like

Interesting. I would do the exact opposite. Self study in own time, exam on squadron.

Gives the idea that they’ve actually learnt something and not just googled the answer.

Now you don’t actually get anything for completing it, who really cares if they google the answers?

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with using Google to help you in the exam. It’s open book.

Teaching people the general gist of a subject, and then teaching them how/where to find out detailed information when required is much more realistic to the real world!

1 Like

We do the exact same as @Farmerdan’s approach above - empower cadets to self study whichever Senior/Master module they have an interest in and they email when they believe they’ve passed Classification for us to check and process.

But this is still 25 mins of administrative time a week (that I can see being automated) that I’d rather be on the parade ground, or planning for more adventurous activities that need my attention.

@PBark78 slight note, I wouldn’t have enough computers for all my cadets to do their exam on squadron? If I encourage personal laptops and tablets in, that leads to a security issue?

Just to clarify; 25 minutes to do what exactly? Login to Units and verify the completion and request a badge?

1 Like

What’s the security issue?

3 Likes

Cyber security threat if connected via same WIFI and someone doesn’t have the right virus protection in place.

Physical security threat, either thefts or damage of laptops

Health and safety risk - Chargers not PAT tested.

Windows devices come with defender now, and the vast majority of WiFi networks come with a built in guest element that isolates.

That is entirely allowed for personal devices. If they even need to use the charger in a 2.5 hour window

1 Like

Excellent and proportionate risk assessment however you’ve missed:
Danger for cadets walking to sqn (might trip)
Cadets driving to sqn (might crash)
Cadets taking public transport to sqn (ditto)
Sqn existing (might be destroyed by plague/pestilence/asteroid)

What I’m getting at is you may have somewhat over reacted here

1 Like