Do NCOs organise cadets based on ability?

I’ve been in cadets for about 5 months but I notice the NCOs always organise me into groups with all the recruits and cadets with bad drill or no experience. I’ve spoken to other cadets and they think my drill is as good as theirs and I’ve been there for the same time as them. That among other things like not being chosen for competitions or ceremonial duties even though I know how to do them. It’s kind of disappointing to know they think I’m not good enough. Are they just underestimating me? Is there a reason why im not being chosen for things?

When the NCOs pick people for ceremonial duties they look at more than drill. They also look at uniform (the biggest factor), badges, classification etc. So even though you may be good at drill, your uniform may be of a lesser quality. Also, not everyone can do ceremonial duties, so someone has to be left out and it can be a hard choice to make, but given you’re new theres plenty of time for you to do it at a later parade.

3 Likes

Have you approached the NCOs to ask why they consistently put you in that group?

They may put you with the recruits so that you can set the standard for those around you to aspire to.

If they feel you still need to develop, ask them for advice on which areas you can practice away from cadets, standing in front of a long mirror (if you have one) is a great way for you to see what they are seeing.

2 Likes

There’s no short answer to this: it largely depends on the way your squadron operates.
As has been reccomended, take it up with the NCOs on your squadron, specifically your corporals. They’re the ones who’ll be best able to give tailored feedback on your performance, and pass the question up to get an explanation for you.

5 months in the grad scheme of things isn’t a very long time; even if the answer you get isn’t one you’ll like, asking questions based on your own development is always a positive thing - ( provided you pay heed to the answers ).

1 Like