Do any sqns still do scale modelling?

In our sqn stores, I have found a large box of assorted scale modelling supplies, enough for a small group of cadets to use and enjoy. However, as far as I am aware, my sqn hasn’t had any scale modelling activities running on parade nights, and apart from myself, no cadets with an interest in the subject. This makes the supplies pretty redundant in out sqn stores, and I was wondering if any other sqns were in a similar situation with lack of interest and activities relating to scale modelling.

Thanks for any replies and/or answers.

This is one of those activities where if you have a staff member or senior cadet who really enjoys modelling, then you’ll likely do a lot of it. If you have no one, then you’ll likely do very little.

3 Likes

It’s a tricky one

It’s very difficult to teach, you need far more time than you get on a parade night, it’s messy, expensive, and fantastically hard to organise when you have anything that isn’t very small groups.

Add in the rumours that HQ are removing support for any competitions in the discipline and you’ll find that most sqns have lost any enthusiasm for it.

They are scraping scale modelling? Can’t say I’m not surprised

I know a few squadrons who do it for a 6 month project potentially for DofE etc

Allows those cadets are still interested in and want to learn about it a chance to do it, whilst others who have no interest in it don’t have to worry about it.

We used to do a lot of it on my squadron, even to the point of running additional modelling only nights between parade nights, but there’s been basically zero interest in it from staff or cadets for the last couple of years.