DM Sash

Hello all,
Our squadron is in the process of deciding whether we’re going to fork out £200 for a fancy Drum Major sash. Our OC is reluctant as we have a blue sash in stores which he thinks would be alright - but I’m not sure about the regulation surrounding this. Could anyone give me any advice?

Cheers

If you have a band with a drum major, then a drum major sash would be appropriate. An ordinary blue sash would not - that isn’t what it is for. Better no sash than the ordinary blue one.

2 Likes

I imagine there are better uses for that money considering a sash isn’t a requirement…

1 Like

The secret is to get someone else to pay for it. There are monies available, you just need to ask the right people.

AP 1358C covers it quite bluntly:

1. The following accoutrements only may be worn:
    a. White courlene belts (worn over the top of the Jumper when in No 2 (Full) SD uniform, but not worn with No 2A / No 2C SD). White belts are to be
    the standard simple ‘brass fasteners and white sliders’ type, not the Royal Air Force buckle or chrome plate. Brass fasteners are to be highly polished.
    b. White cotton/nylon gloves may be worn by Drum Majors only (not to be worn with No 2C SD).
    c. White dress cords - worn on the left shoulder (only to be worn in No 2 (Full) SD uniform with jersey)
    d. Drum Majors may wear a dark blue Sash over the left shoulder (not to be worn in No 2C SD or Highland Dress). Sashes are worn over the top of white belts.
    Note: Although authorised for wear, the above items are not scaled for issue at public expense.

If your going out to buy one I would say go for dark blue, I wouldn’t wear light blue or an RAF blue one as they are used by the RAF for something else a DI I believe.

Check ACP633, it lays out the correct format for Drum Major sashes, they now have to be of an approved make.

You’ll be looking more like £600-700 for a Drum Major sash these days!

If you have a wing bandmaster speak to them and they should be able to advise

What is this ACP633 you speak of. It is not on Sharepoint under ACPs

Band manual

It’s the new Band Manual. Hasn’t made it up there yet but is distributed to WMusOs and WWOs

It’s on SharePoint under the D&C portal if you expand the item on the left it’s listed there with Ap818 and Ap1358C

SmartSelect_20181002-105748_Drive

Image of the sash from ACP633

Rant mode on
Really easy to find then. You would expect a page listing all of the ACP used by the RAFAC to contain ALL of the ACPs.
Admin burden and all that. I wonder what other ACP are missing?
Rant mode off

2 Likes

Totally agree only knew it was there as my WWO told me about a copy of 818 being there as the one in key documents opens a Dii link to 818! :thinking:

More up to date version of the dress regs here regarding DM sashes.

Is it dark blue?

So AP1358C says one thing and ACP633 says something else. Funny that…

Just out of interest what is the date of issue of that from 1358? As the Feb 2017 states just the dark blue and I’m not aware of Any update since then.

I can’t see any reference to dress in ACP633 just the pictures which shows dark blue. But there does seem to be some contradiction here somewhere

I’d hope intention is that such a sash be worn for practices and a nice one being worn for formal performances, unless you are unable to afford a nice one? It is just a bit chippy compared to those your counterparts in the other services would be wearing.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.